46 - Jen/ Kate/ Alex

Jen

When Jen walked in both her parents were behind the counter. Her mother looked up and smiled.

Her father called out, "Jenny-girl! You're here."

She hugged them both and her mother said, "What's this about someone new?"

"We've been growing closer for a long time, but now that I'm no longer married. We've admitted we love each other."

The shop bell rang and her father looked up. "Alex, I'll be right with you. My Jenny has some news."

"Dad. Alex is with me."

"What?" Rick paused. "You and..."

"Yes." She smiled.

"Oh my! You said we'd like him. Never did I imagine," Alice said shocked.

Rick said, "You and my daughter?"

"Yes," Alex said meekly.

"Can you convince her to come home where she belongs?" Rick asked Alex.

"I think in time she may decide that for herself, but I can guarantee she'll be back to visit more."

"I should be upset since it's obvious she's staying with you?"

"Dad. I'm not in high school. I'm thirty-one years old and I'm divorced." Jen protested. "Can we get coffee?"

Rick looked at Alex. "You're still paying for your food."

"Of course." Alex laughed.

Jen was so happy to not have to lie to her parents any longer. They already loved Alex. She smiled at him and touched his arm while they were waiting on their coffee, because she could. When Alex went for his wallet, her father said, "I didn't mean this morning."

"Thanks, Daddy," Jen said before they turned to leave.

The house was taking shape. She walked around envisioning furnishings. She would work around the few items that Alex already owned. Peter stopped by. He had been on a run and saw Alex's truck.

"What you're out together in daylight?"

"I'm a divorced woman. I can be seen with anyone I choose. We just told my parents."

"Really? So no more secrets? I'm happy for you both. I'd love to stay, but I need to get home to get ready to take Nick to soccer practice. The house looks great!"

That afternoon, Alex took her to meet his mother and Hank. He was purposely trying to avoid Kate. The house was built with the same craftsmanship as Alex's houses. It was her turn to be nervous, but she didn't feel the dread she felt when meeting Sterling's parents.

Alex introduced her and his mother, Paula, had a friendly smile. "Come in. Alex how long have you been hiding her from us?"

"We met in March, but we were just friends for a long time. Things changed and here we are." Alex kept his explanation vague.

"How did you meet?" Paula asked.

"Jen's the designer I've been working with."

"You mean Avery's friend? The one that Kate keeps mentioning."

"Yes, but Kate got worked up before we even had a relationship."

Hank said, "Avery's friend. Don't you live in New York?"

"I do, but my parents live on The Point. I come back most weekends," Jen answered.

Jen liked them and would have thought Hank was Alex's father. He was Alex's role model. Compared to the Dixons, they were more than nice. She could imagine becoming close with his mother. Everything was different with Alex, if only she hadn't been so stupid. If she had visited through the years would she have met Alex and fallen in love sooner? She didn't know. Maybe they met when they were supposed to. They didn't stay very long. Jen wanted to stop for groceries so she could cook for Alex. She loved leaving him with meals for the week ahead.