41 - Alex/ Jen

Alex

Alex stood up, and the sand cascaded off him following Sophie's new pastime of burying him. He walked to the water eyeing Jen jumping with each wave. She was crazy staying in the water so long. As he walked toward her, she met him at a respectable distance.

"I was waiting for you to come in to rinse off."

"You're crazy. It's freezing out here."

She just laughed. "Go get warm. I'll be right there."

"I want to hold you against me and let the waves hit us," he said in a low voice.

"Me too. Next summer."

His heart soared. Did she realize the impact of her comment? That was the most long-term comment either had ever made ─ not that he didn't have long-term thoughts every day. He just didn't know she had them too.

Back on the beach, he dried off and let the sun warm him. He was talking to Peter about baseball when Peter said he was taking the twins to the game in Portland.

"There're fireworks!" Sophie added.

"Lucky you!" Alex said.

"We have an extra ticket. Megan can't go because our babysitter is busy."

Jen said to Megan, "I'll babysit if you want to go."

"You!" Alex said, "Can you even change a diaper?"

"It's been a while, but I babysat a lot. Have you changed a diaper?"

"I used to watch my half-brothers."

Megan snapped, "Stop fighting. Neither of you really want to."

Both answered, "Yes, I do."

Avery said, "Oh yes! I want to watch them!"

Jen said, "You guys can have drinks on the beach and watch the fireworks while I stay with Abbie."

"You're sure?" Megan asked, looking at Peter.

Jen answered, "Definitely!"

Peter shrugged. "Abbie's a trooper. She'll survive."

They left the beach to clean up so they could be back at Megan's by five. Alex felt excited about watching Abbie together.

While she was walking out the door, Megan said, "Don't kill each other. You remind me of a divorced couple I used to know!"

"What did she mean by that?" Jen asked.

"I don't know, but they ended up happy." Alex smiled.

He had an advantage with Abbie at the beginning because she knew him. Avery and Tom watched while Alex and Jen vied for her attention. Alex secretly thought the competition was fun.

Avery said, "Do you think they have a nanny cam?"

Alex wanted to kiss Jen, but was afraid to. Jen smelled it first and picked Abbie up. Unfortunately, she wanted Alex, so he had to go upstairs too. He watched. Jen was not as adept as Megan when she changed a diaper, but she definitely accomplished the job. She even managed all the snaps that went along with her little pajamas.

Alex imagined that Abbie was their child and whispered. "Watching you take care of her is sexy."

"You're crazy."

After Jen proved she could care for her, Abbie warmed up to her. She allowed Jen to read to her rock her and put her down to sleep following the routine that Megan had described. Alex watched and again imagined Jen as the mother of his child.