20 - Jen

I told you I'm good! Was he trying to be funny? He couldn't be flirting. Could he have been? Maybe she was just sex deprived. It had been more than a month since she left Sterling and weeks before that. Things had cooled off, and she had been too busy with work to care. Of course, he had Trevor.

The next evening, with Avery still away, she was alone. She had plenty of work to do yet she called him. He answered, and she suddenly wasn't sure what to say.

"So how was today's progress?"

"Good." He updated her on details of the day.

"Are you busy?"

"Nah, just watching the game."

Jen had her new sketchpad and drew while they spoke.

"Do you watch other sports?"

"I watch football and an occasional hockey game. I can't imagine you like sports."

"I grew up with the baseball games on the radio in the market."

"Oh, right."

"I've also been to a few baseball games. I've had some players as clients. Actually, I've had a few hockey and basketball players too."

"You're kidding that's incredible! Too bad they all played for New York teams. You're supposed to hate New York."

"So my father has told me. Did you play sports?"

"Oh no. I was busy working with Hank."

"I bet you had girls chasing after you."

"I had one girl."

"Were you in love?" She teased.

"Yeah, for a lot longer than I should have been. I never understood why she chose me. She was too good for me, and her father never approved. I was the voc kid, in my flannel and Carhartt. I spent my weekends picking up debris at my stepfather's building sites."

Jen imagined young Alex and knew his girl was probably attracted to his handsome face with hazel eyes and tan skin with ripped muscles. Oh shit!

"So I grew up above a market and spent all my time in the art room in baggy clothes. Look what you achieved. You have talent."

"Said the designer to the rich and famous in the Big Apple. Baggy clothes! I've seen you dressed up."

"I was the worst dressed until I met Sterling and Avery. What happened to your love?"

"She went off to college, and I stayed home. She's married to a doctor and is having a baby. Did you break hearts in high school?"

"No, my first boyfriend was when I was in college."

"I find that hard to believe."

"I was a late bloomer. Megan got the boys not me."

He challenged her, but she assured him it was the truth. She wanted to say, ask Megan or Peter, but she didn't. As they talked she drew. She copied a picture of little Abbie in honor of her first birthday. By the time they ended their call, she had a good start. She gave up on work for the night and continued her drawing.

The following night he called her and gave an update on the day's work, but neither of them was fooling the other. As they spoke she felt the blood pulsing through her body. She was far too attracted to him for her own good. Avery being away made their phone conversations easier.

The week continued, and they spoke every night. She finished the drawing of Abbie. It was good enough to give to Megan. She considered going back to visit, but she was almost afraid to see Alex again after all their phone calls. She wished she understood what was happening between them.

By that time, Avery had come home, Jen had also drawn a picture of Alex from her memory and the picture she took. Drawing him was as intimate as their phone conversations. She wasn't divorced, and he was seeing Julia, so neither of them should be talking the way they were.

When Avery came back, she shortened their calls to avoid comments, and she ended the week with an appointment with Betsy Yates. She had prepared the documents to serve Sterling with divorce. Jen asked Avery to deliver the papers for her, although her friend hated to get involved she agreed. Avery wasn't even back from meeting with Sterling on Saturday afternoon when he called her.

"Jennifer daring, why are you ruining us?"

"Sterling, we were doomed from the start. You were fooling yourself and me," she said wearily.

"What about the firm? How will it survive?"

"Our marriage is separate. The firm will survive if we keep things amicable. I'm trying, but you hurt me." She reminded him.

"What do you want from me?" Sadness and defeat filled his voice.

"Get an attorney. The rest will work out. We have very few assets, so I'm sure we'll come to an agreement."

"What am I going to tell my parents? My father's birthday party is coming."

"Your parents hate me so they'll be thrilled. The real question is will you tell them about who you love?"

"Jennifer, I need you!"

"No Sterling, you don't. I'm saying goodbye now." She hung up.

When Avery knocked on her door, Jen said, "Why didn't I see the real Sterling years ago. He had me fooled."

"He fooled both of us."

Jen made tentative plans for another trip to Maine toward the end of April. She had told Alex her plans and was preparing to book her flights. She told Sterling her schedule since she wanted to be there on Friday.

"Jennifer, darling, I need you with me that weekend. It's the benefit. We have to go or everyone will talk if we're not together."

"Sterling, everyone will talk eventually." She reminded him, but the truth was she had forgotten all about this annual charity event and she needed to attend. She'd have to hurry to get a dress.

"Jennifer, even as partners of Dixon Design, we should be there together," She had to concede that he was right.

When she spoke to Alex that evening, she said, "I can't get away for the weekend. It looks like I won't be back until the fifteen. I was looking forward to seeing your progress."

"That's disappointing."

He sounded sad which just made her feel worse. A part of her was afraid to see him after their relationship had evolved into talking every day. He confused her because she was sure he had feelings for her. Except he was seeing Julia and constantly referring to Jen as married. There was another part of her who wanted to find out just what their relationship had evolved into.