14 - Jen

The call from Avery came on Saturday afternoon. Jen had been walking on the beach. It was cold, but she had grown accustomed to it in the short time she was home. It was already mid-March.

"Oh my God, Jen!" Avery started without even a hello.

"Did he tell you everything?"

"I think so. No wonder you ran away. You walked in on them. Oh, how awful!"

Finally, Jen had someone to talk to. "He wouldn't tell me everything. I asked if he was in love. By his lack of answer, I took it as a yes. I can't go back there."

"Stay with me until you sort it out." Jen asked if she was sure. "Yes, just come home. I miss you."

"Okay, I will. I know I need to, but I don't think I can go into the office."

"Somehow it will be alright." Avery assured her.

"I'll leave early in the morning. I'd better start my goodbyes." Truthfully she didn't have that many, just Megan and Peter and her parents.

She stopped at Megan's. The house was busy and full of joy. She promised her she'd keep in touch and hugged them each. Then Sophie hugged her, and she felt like the Grinch because her heart grew.

"I'll be back. I have a lot more work to do." She promised.

At home, she told her parents she had to go back. She also reassured them she'd be back.

"When?" her mother asked.

"Whenever your friend, Alex, finishes the work."

"I don't know why you two started out on the wrong foot, but did you notice that he's very nice?" her father asked.

"He's okay. He's definitely good at what he does."

They spent a pleasant night together, and she left bright and early with a cup of her father's coffee at her side. She had driven across the causeway several times during her visit, but it was different this time even though she would come back. The excitement she experienced when she came home, had been replaced with dread. It was the same when she crossed the bridge over the Piscataqua River into New Hampshire. She stopped once in Massachusetts to use the bathroom and stretch her legs. She bought a packet of nuts, but her appetite had almost disappeared again.

Traffic flowed all day, but slowed heading into the city. She returned the car into their parking garage and debated her next move.

She texted Sterling, Back in the city. Are you home?

His response came quickly, no, having a late lunch.

She went upstairs and collected more clothing and lugged it all including what she had with her in Maine to the curb. Flagging a taxi, she rode the ten blocks to Avery's building and was left on the sidewalk with her luggage. Avery's doorman, Walt knew Jen and came out to help her.

"Are you expected, Ms. Dixon?"

"I am, but please Walt, just Jen is fine."

She waited as he notified Avery of her arrival and then he helped her bring her belongings upstairs. He didn't ask about her luggage. He knew it was not his place. Avery met them by the elevator, she hugged Jen. She explained Walt should pass the word that Jen would be staying. "and Mr. Dixon?"

"Please call before sending him up." When they entered her apartment, Avery asked, "Did you take everything?"

"No, I have plenty of clothes there. Thank you for this. I don't know how long it will be. Eventually, I'll need my own place." Jen rambled.