16 - Jen

He knew too much. Part of her wanted to tell him everything. She imagined that if she cried, he would comfort her. She needed to stop thinking that way.

She joined Avery for some chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Avery studied her making her feel uncomfortable.

"You do a lot of working on the phone."

"I called for information and I got more than I realized. Apparently, everyone was speculating why I came home."

"So what's the deal with this guy? Do you like him?"

"There's no deal. We're working together, and we talk as friends. Nothing more." She tried to sound convincing, but she suddenly wasn't very convinced.

"Okay, but I still think it would do you good to give Sterling a taste of what he did to you."

"Will you call Sterling to talk and casually find out where he is?" Avery asked her why and she explained that she needed to go into the office.

She sat quietly while Avery spoke to Sterling. She heard one side of the conversation.

"Hey Sterling, I thought I'd call to see how you were doing... You haven't seen her once. Do you two talk?... I know she's been busy working... No, I sent her out to buy wine and chocolate." Avery winked at her and continued, "You know two things that girls can't live without. So what are you up to?... It was cold today. It's just as well you're in for the night. Are you cuddled up with your new lover?... Gee, don't get all serious. I was teasing. I guess I'll let you go so you can get back to whatever it was you were doing... I will. Bye Ster."

"I heard. He's home and they're together. That's all the better. I won't be too long."

She stepped out into the cold night and hailed a cab. She could easily walk, but it was late, and her excursion would take twice as long.

Very little had changed. She had fears of Trevor taking over her office, but it appeared untouched. She gathered the files she needed. A few she had to copy and was on her way home in fifteen minutes.

When she entered the apartment, Avery said, "That was fast."

She debated telling Avery she had made an appointment with a top-notch divorce attorney. She was a client who loved Jen's work. She needed to get some questions answered. One thing she knew for sure was her marriage would end in divorce.

She kept her appointment private to find out what Betsy Yates had to say first. When the door to Betsy's office closed, Jen said, "Thanks for seeing me. If anyone sees me, can you say you're considering more work?"

"No worries. We're all professional here. I am rather shocked that you're here."

"I want a divorce, but I know the process. I am hoping Dixon Designs doesn't complicate things. As of now, I still intend to continue with business as usual."

"Alright. First question and again confidential, who cheated on who?"

"He did."

"Are you sure you have no chance of reconciling?"

"No, he's in love." She paused for a moment and added matter-of-factly, "with him."

"I'm sorry." Betsy didn't show any reaction. She must have heard it all.

Jen listened as she explained the process. It would take six to nine months. When she was through, they both had some questions. Jen explained she left almost four weeks before. She also told her she was eager to get it over with.

"What's your hurry?"

"Even before, I knew about his infidelity which has been going on since at least last July, we were in a disagreement. I want a baby and he adamantly refused. So I don't want to waste my time in a divorce proceeding."

"Have you met someone?"

"No, but I want to be divorced when and if I do." Jen thought about Alex, she liked him, but realistically they lived in different states. He definitely had the potential of being a little fling, but not the father of her child.

Jen needed to tell Sterling her plans to file for divorce. She asked him to come over on Thursday evening. When she told Avery, she asked if she should stay and Jen said that she could. She planned to fly up to Maine on Friday morning to see the progress. Some time away from Sterling would be wise.

She called her mother but texted Alex and Megan to let them know she was coming home.

Alex called her right away. "I'll pick you up."

"You don't need to."

"I want to and then we can go straight to the house. What time?"

"Early eight-fifteen. I appreciate it. I guess I'll be the talk of The Point again."

She was more and more anxious throughout the day on Thursday. She hadn't seen Sterling in two weeks. He arrived on time, and Avery offered him wine. Jen noticed him looking at her because she wore the sweats she loved.

"I feel like you two are up to something," Sterling commented.

"No, just me. I wanted to tell you in person that I met with Betsy Yates this week."

"What? Why?"

"Why? Why? Because I don't want to be married to a man that doesn't love me. My life is not your little charade. I want things in life that you can't give me."

"Here we go again with the baby talk."

"I want more than just a baby. I want a relationship based on honesty and mutual love. I thought I had that and now I know I don't." She felt the tears starting. He said nothing, and she continued, "The divorce may affect your image, but it doesn't affect Dixon Designs. We started the company as two individuals. The contract allows for one of us to leave, but I have no intentions to unless you make my life miserable."

"I see you've got this all planned out. Are you ever coming back to the office?"

"Maybe after the divorce, but not before. Unfortunately, I am stuck because the firm needs Trevor, your lover, and I can't be there with the two of you. I saw enough of you two when I found you in my bed." She reminded him of the impact of his actions.

"Jennifer darling, I really thought we'd work out a truce and things would get back to normal." He whined which annoyed her.

"You can stay and visit with Avery. I'm off to bed. I'm flying up early in the morning to see the progress on the Maine house. I'll be back on Sunday. Now that I'm my own person, I plan to make up for the years you kept me from my family. Goodnight." she stood and walked away holding her head high, but shaking inside.

Once behind closed doors, she finally breathed. She'd forgotten how to breathe the entire time she was talking to him. It would take some time for her to mourn the end of her marriage. She would have to tell her parents but suspected they would take it well.

Sleep came hard, and her alarm jolted her awake at 4 am. She jumped in the shower, dressed quickly and headed down to the lobby. She arranged a car service to Laguardia. The flight wasn't long. The plane descended a few minutes after it finished climbing.

It was sunny when she walked out of the terminal in the cool morning air. She saw him across the road in the pickup lot casually leaning against his truck. As she approached, she noticed he was smiling and her stomach felt like it lurched and bumped into her heart.