8 - Alex and Kate

Alex

Alex was working when Sydney Thompson arrived. He did a double take, behind her Ms. Dixon was dressed in business clothes unlike any he'd seen in Maine. She wore makeup and pinned her hair up. Every time he had seen her, she had her hair in a ponytail. Her eyes stood out, and he noticed their unique mocha color. Maybe Tom was right, she could turn heads when she walked in a room. She turned a few of his workers' heads.

Sydney greeted him warmly. He liked her in spite of the fact she ruined this land. She looked around wide-eyed. The last time she saw the house the inside walls weren't up. She walked through pointing out different things. He went back to work as the two women talked design.

He suspected that the last phase of this house would be long and miserable dealing with this designer. He was beginning to feel like he needed a vacation, which was something that he had never had before. A night out might work, so he called Julia.

He had talked to her once since she returned from New York. When she answered her phone, he greeted her. "I was wondering if you were free to grab a bite tonight."

They made plans. The women waited for him to get off the phone, as he added, "I missed you last weekend."

He didn't know why, but somehow he didn't want Jennifer Dixon thinking he was single. She scrutinized him enough, and she didn't need to know that his social life was pathetic.

His social life was not as fulfilling as he wanted. Both he and Julia approached their relationship casually. He considered if she would be interested in becoming more serious, but truthfully he wasn't. He liked her and was physically attracted to her, but he wasn't in love with her. He wondered if he would ever feel that way for anyone again.

His evening with Julia was nice. Because it was a work night, they said good night at the restaurant. He asked her out for Saturday night and promised he'd take Sunday morning off.

"I'll take you for the best coffee and muffins you've ever had."

He enjoyed waking up to a warm soft body next to him. He pulled her close and held her until she stirred. He definitely liked not waking up alone. It was mid-morning when they showered and headed out together.

Rick greeted him, and Alex introduced him to Julia. Rick said, "Any friend of Alex is a friend of ours."

He saw Jen in the corner reading the New York Times. She looked younger than when he last saw her with Sydney looking very much like a New Yorker.

He sat at a table with Julia. They shared the Portland Sunday Telegram and quietly talked about the contents, as they read. He enjoyed relaxing on Sundays. Peter, Dan and their five kids disrupted the quiet. They both waved to him. "Dads in charge!"

Dan said, "The girls are walking on the beach."

Jen looked up, and he wondered what she thought of her old friend with a new best friend. Her look didn't last, because Sophie was talking to her with Dan and Kristi's littlest Ivy following right behind. She smiled. Had he ever seen her smile? She carried on a conversation for a while.

"Do you know everyone?" Julia asked.

"Almost, but I put a second story on both Dan and Peter's houses. Dan's was back when I was still starting out on my own. Do you want to see the house I'm working on?"

Julia had never seen his work, other than his own home. He drove her down past Dan and Peter's houses and pointed out others he had worked on. He showed her the beautiful home he built with the Italian tile and then he drove down the end to the Thompson house.