29 - Avery/ Jen/ Avery again

Avery

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes, but I was hoping for a hello."

"Hello."  Tom smiled and kissed her like he'd been away at sea. "We have a flight to catch so don't get any ideas. Did you make arrangements for our ride?"

"Yes, but tell me again what we're supposed to accomplish."

"We'll put them together as much as possible to see where it leads."

"But it can't lead anywhere really... at least anyplace lasting. Plus, you said your brother won't go near anyone married."

"Yeah but I've never known him to talk on the phone for more than a few minutes. To Alex texting was the greatest thing invented. I'm dying to see him squirm." Tom smiled wickedly which made her wish they weren't heading out the door.

"Did you tell Alex who was picking us up?"

"I told him we arranged a ride. If he already knows, they talked tonight."

Tom smiled. Avery was glad she didn't have a brother and was suddenly glad.

Avery had flown to many cities and was used to small airports. She liked them because they were less of a hassle than big hubs. She followed Tom out, and across the street to a parking lot with a few scattered cars. Jen was standing by a standard nondescript sedan. She looked relaxed and comfortable in jeans.

Avery hugged her as she said, "Welcome to Maine!"

Quickly they were off the highway and a business district switched to residential and then rural. They turned into a neighborhood. At the end of the street, Tom pointed out the ocean. Two quick turns and Jen was pulling in the driveway.

"Here you go."

"Come in with us?"

Jen paused before she said, "Alright for a few minutes."

Avery was excited to see Alex in person. He came to the door wearing sports shorts and a tee shirt with bare feet. He was taller than Tom and as good looking, in a slightly different way.

"Welcome come in." He gave Tom a slap on the back hug, and he smiled at Avery. "Nice to meet you."

"Hi, Alex. It's nice to finally meet you too."

"Finally," Jen said.

"You know. Since you met him in March, I've been curious." She smiled, but no one commented.

Alex was busy offering Tom a beer. "Ladies."

Avery said, "Yes!" and Jen shook her head. Avery took the beer. "This place is beautiful. You need a designer. I could recommend a good one."

Everyone laughed and Alex said, "There's this guy David that I've worked with."

Jen said, "I know he's good."

Avery asked, "Jen, do you want your dress?"

She nodded, but looked uncomfortable.

Avery asked where she could unpack, and Alex told her which room. She beckoned Jen to follow her upstairs. She opened her suitcase and took two dresses out. One was Jen's and the other she hung in the closet with Alex's clothes.

"I guess this is his room."

"Yes, he said he was giving you his bed."

"Looks like a nice bed." Jen did not react.

Once they went downstairs, Jen announced she was leaving.