30 - Alex/ Jen

Alex

Whose idea was this weekend? He felt like he was getting hit emotionally from every angle. First after insisting he was, all set, his brother showed up with Jen. This was after he had spent half the time he was watching the Sox lose thinking about her and wishing she'd call or text. He was thinking about how she dressed to meet Sydney, but even more so the way she looked when he went in for coffee. Her legs that didn't quit in her shorts and her face beautiful and so natural with no makeup. He imagined waking up to that face with those legs tangled around his.

So after getting himself aroused by thinking about her all evening, she was in his house. He wondered if Avery thought him a fool because he felt tongue-tied for the first few moments. When the friends went upstairs, his brother said, "Those are two beautiful women." Alex just stood and nodded like a fool.

Then she left him with the lovebirds. Lord, they were so into each other it was enough to make anyone jealous. He wondered about Jen's dress that Avery brought for Sydney's party. He wouldn't overdress because he was the builder. A part of him wanted to look good for Jen to notice him. He wanted her heart to stop the way his did constantly.

On Saturday he drove over for coffee, but didn't see her. Only the Lilys were working. Rick had two high school girls both named Lily who were good friends. One lived year round on The Point, the other didn't. He'd been told many years ago it was always Jen and Megan behind the counter and then Peter joined them. Megan worked weekends in season until she had Abbie. That was how Alex became friendly with her. It didn't surprise him to see Jen working when they arrived for lunch, the line was out the door. He was used to the off-season when he could get his coffee and lunch without a wait.

Jen's phone ruined lunch. He listened as she spoke with the man she married. He wanted to know how a man could cheat on her and let her go. If he ever allowed himself to give in to his desires, it would never be enough. He would never let her go, and that was his problem.

The husband called again when they were walking back from the beach. He heard her friendly greeting. "You can do it. I have faith in you. Definitely call and let me know... I know, me too... Bye." When she ended the call, he stared at her and she looked at him as if to say, what? He just shook his head thinking it wasn't over. She was fooling herself. As much as he longed for her, he couldn't get mixed up in a mess.

His resolve lasted until he saw her dressed for the party. Her blue dress complemented her mocha eyes. It fit perfectly in just the right places. He would have to be blind to not notice her and he wanted her desperately. He watched as she negotiated the room accepting accolades humbly. She often pointed his way and once or twice waved him over.

One couple was considering a house in Maine, but he stayed as they showed interest in her talents for their New York apartment. He heard Sterling's name mentioned, and it reminded him she would always be tied to him through their business. Another couple from Boston was interested in a house at Higgins Beach.

"I have one that I've been considering selling. I can let you know. It's been completely redone, but hasn't had a designer."

"Perhaps we'll be calling you," she said, turning to Jen.

Jen just smiled, but he knew she wasn't looking for clients in Maine. He wished she would only work in Maine. He watched as she greeted more people. Some she knew from her own social circle. Meanwhile, Avery and Tom fit in nicely.

Sydney came up to him and took his arm. She made her way around the room introducing him to everyone as her amazing builder. He smiled and tried to be charming. He normally felt uncomfortable with compliments, but he was proud of his crew's work. They circled around to Jen and Sydney commented that they made a great team.