"I didn't hate you! I just didn't know you." Again he longed to tell her how he really felt but stopped himself. How much longer, he wondered.

Time flew too quickly when they were together. The weekdays crawled and then as soon as she arrived they were saying goodbye. He occupied himself with work and with the promise of talking to her every evening. It would have to be enough. One night, after he commented on how artistically talented she was, she said, "It's a good thing I was good at art, because I was a horrible student."

"I don't believe you. I was miserable in school. The only subject I did well in was math."

"You're making that up so I'll feel better." She laughed.

"No, I'm serious and if you are too, then we're in trouble."

"Why's that?"

"Between the two of us, our children won't have a chance!"

"Our children?" she asked.

"I didn't say that." He lied.

"You did, you did! They would be beautiful and artistic and good with their hands and..."

"And are we getting ahead of ourselves?"

"Maybe just a little, but it's still a nice thought."

Jen

Jen

He said, our children. Perhaps that was a dream they shared ─ a dream that could come true. She imagined what it would be like to be expecting and for Alex to put his hands possessively on her belly and feel their baby inside of her. She had seen him hold his nephew and imagined him holding their child. Anything short of that dream would break her heart.

Jen reluctantly talked to Trevor. She knew the future of Dixon Designs depended on Trevor honing his skill level and talent. He needed to make a name for himself much as Jen had. It was with great trepidation that she agreed to go to the largest charity event of the fall season with Sterling, Trevor, and Lexi. If Trevor would make a name for himself, he needed to be seen socially. The trick was trying to avoid any of the four appearing like a couple.

Thankfully, the event was on a Thursday night. She told Alex about it and his concern was it would be too difficult for her.

"I'll just think of you and spending the weekend with you."

"I wish you were dressing sexy for me."

"Any picture, know my smile is for you alone. Remember, I'm flying up the next morning so we can go kitchen shopping."

"I can't wait. It's my favorite date. I love watching you work."

Jen insisted on arriving at the event alone. She made sure she was seen talking to both Sterling and Trevor individually. She spent most of the evening walking around greeting clients. Later Sterling insisted on a Dixon Design photograph. They had donated two prizes for the silent auction. Each was free consultation services, but one was with her and the other with Trevor. Hers had raised a considerable amount of money. Trevor's was not as successful.