26 - Avery/ Sterling/Jen

Start from the beginning

Sterling

The meeting with his attorney was horrific. He wanted Sterling to tell him why she had filed for divorce, but he refused. He would not tell a stranger their personal business. Did Jennifer tell Betsy Yates? He hoped not.

Then he said the divorce would be public record. Is anything private these days? He was desperate, so he went to see Avery because she knew how to calm him.

He forgot she had found a new man. He wasn't sure what he thought of him with his suit thrown across the back of the sofa. He was relaxed and too much at home. It was bad enough he was with Avery, but Jennifer was living there too. Still, Avery had said he was Columbia Law which meant he had potential.

Avery's publicist idea was perfect. He felt better already, so he called Jennifer on his way home in the cab. She agreed and insisted he include her. He couldn't cross her, because she could leave Dixon Designs and then he'd be leaving Manhattan.

She insisted he should tell his family, but his parents would make him feel miserable. His mother would cry and say something like I knew you should never have married her. She was never good enough for you. She might even say she'll never find anyone better than you.

Perhaps a trip home for some sympathy was what he needed. He would tell the truth; Jennifer left him and filed for divorce. Trevor would understand that he was going home. He'd book a flight for Memorial Day weekend.

Trevor was waiting for him when he arrived. "How was your appointment?"

"Humiliating."

"Did you tell the truth?"

"Of course."

"You're one step closer to becoming the man you are meant to be."

"I have to go home and tell my parents about the divorce."

"You'll be so much happier once you're honest with them."

Sterling had no intention of being honest with them.

"Did you eat? I'm starving."

Jen

Jen

Jen knew he wanted her as much as she did him. She was so close to kissing him, but thanks to the story that Tom told her, she knew he would retreat. She suspected he would retreat a little regardless, as she recognized his pattern. When they got too close, he backed off. She also knew he couldn't stay away for long.

Talking to Sterling with Alex there was surreal. He was not standing in the way of the divorce, because it petrified him she would leave Dixon Designs. Hiring a publicist was a perfect idea. The sooner everyone knew they weren't a couple, the sooner she could start living her own life.

Alex finally believing her divorce was real was worth having to talk to Sterling. With Alex there, she had no feelings for Sterling, because the feelings she had pulsing through her veins were for Alex and they were stronger than anything she ever felt in her life. She was jealous of Avery because she had her Goodwin brother and Jen may never get hers.