Chapter Twelve

Zane appeared in a huff. His blue eyes were wild and enraged. He was steaming with anger as he exited Eli's room; his face deep red like a tomato. No, deep red like the monster from my dream. He turned on his heels and looked down at me. His gaze softened a bit, but it didn't last. Eli appeared in the doorway now, angry and squinting into the light, still sensitive to the change.

I had never seen Eli angry before. But here he was now, holding his ground, with a pointed gaze at Zane. I had never seen such heat in his eyes, and now, he appeared frightening. The two seemed to stare at one another with bitter hate, and something hidden beneath. I could only imagine what they had been talking about in Eli's room. Something had made Zane irate and furious, but what?

I glanced between the two, irritated that I didn't know what was going on, "Will someone please tell me what's going on?" Zane eyed me closely, but didn't respond.

"You will keep your word, won't you?" Eli asked, his words slicing the awkward silence. His tone was soft, but serious.

Zane nodded, "You have my word. You have nothing to worry about." Zane's words seemed to assure Eli, because he nodded once and disappeared into his room again.

Zane didn't look at me. He didn't speak. He didn't move. He merely stood still, eyeing Eli's door with what looked like regret, or maybe sadness. His gaze flickered to meet my eyes and he tried to smile, but his face fell. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

Sorry for what? I thought. Sorry for the fight? Sorry that he couldn't tell me what was happening? "Zane," I whispered, reaching a hand out to him.

He caught me before I could touch him, and his glare was cold as ice. "Let's make one thing very clear," he spat, holding my wrist and hovering over me. I shrunk to the floor in fear as he spoke, "Stay away from me. Stay far away."

"But--" I sputtered, "Ow!" I was confused after the conversation we had just a couple of nights ago. Was he angry at me?

"No buts," Zane hissed, "Keep your distance, or you're out. Got it?" His voice was chilling to the bone.

I nodded, horrified, and squealed in pain. I tried to pry his fingers from my skin to release me, but he held my eyes for a moment longer to ensure I understood his terms. He yanked my wrist free from his grasp, leaving white fingerprints that wouldn't fade.

He was unlike Eli in that sense. Eli was hurt when he hurt me, appalled by his actions, but Zane just didn't care. I scrambled to my feet and ran out of the house, not looking back for anything. My breathing became rapid as my lungs tightened; I was gasping for air as I ran.

I ran to the place where the plot of Zane's land met with the forest. It was separated by the tall chain-linked fence, but for a moment, I wasn't worried about my safety. I climbed over the top of the fence and into the forest ahead, only daring a glance backwards to make sure I wouldn't be followed. In this moment, I wanted to be alone.

I made my way deeper into the forest, settling into a nook near the bottom of a lone tree with a large trunk. It was one of the few left standing in this area, due to weather and means of deforestation. I breathed in the old scent of wood and must, digging my fingers into the earth. The dirt felt good between my fingers.

A squirrel scurried along the ground over toppled trees, searching for food, or maybe another squirrel. I smiled as I let my thoughts dance for a moment. It was nice to think that despite the downfall of the human race, life was able to go on without us. The world hadn't changed much for them, and if at all, it was for the better. The old world before civilization was beginning to repair itself, and it needed no assistance from us.

I began to fall in love with the idea of a world without humans. I started to realize that maybe it wasn't so bad this way. Thoughts like these even scared myself. A world without humans? That would mean I wouldn't exist. Eli wouldn't exist. Zane wouldn't exist. But would it be best? I would never know. I had never known a world without humans.

But then I began to think about the people I knew now, and I realized they werent so bad after all. I thought about Eli. I thought about Zane. And I wondered what adversaries surrounded them. There was a storm brewing between them, which made for some very negative energy in the household. It put everyone in an awkward mood.

About an hour after my journey into the forest, I entered the house in the middle of an arguement between Owen, Eli and Zane. Nolan was sitting back, keeping his voice quiet whenever he spoke. I listened for a moment, but I could tell that the three were beating around the bush with their words, careful of what I might hear. By now, I was sick of the fighting, and it happened all too quickly.

Owen lowered his voice as he spoke, narrowing his eyes at the others, "Why don't we ask her?"

"Ask me what?" I inquired, waiting for a response. Eli was gazing at me with longing. He wanted to tell me, but he knew he couldn't. Now wasn't the time. When it was clear I wasn't going to get one, I rolled my eyes and said, "I want to go into the city."

"Ah, so the bird finally wants to leave the nest," Zane teased, grabbing his keys, "Don't worry, I'll drive you." He held a hand out for me, but I kindly declined. Oh, so he was trying to be nice now? Maybe he should have been nicer to my wrist. I could still see the marks.

"If you wouldn't mind, I would rather have Nolan take me," I said, smiling as Nolan raised his eyebrows in surprise. He shrugged, taking the keys from Zane, who looked absolutely appalled. "Don't take it personally," I offered, " I just don't know if I can stand to be around any of you right now."

"Why him?" Owen whined, frowning that he wasn't chosen.

"At least Nolan hasn't raised his voice yet today," I said. And with that, I took Nolan by the hand and pulled him through the door.

"Thanks," he said, once we were in the car, headed for the city, "I didn't like being around all of that either." Nolan smiled, daring a glance at my face. I couldn't help but smile back at him.

I nodded and sighed thoughtfully, "What was all of that about anyways?"

Nolan frowned with annoyance before speaking, "Eli thinks that Zane poses a threat."

"A threat? How so?"

His eyebrows furrowed together as he tried to form the words. I could tell he wasn't sure if he should say something or not. It wasn't really his business, he knew that. I loved that about Nolan. He didn't concern himself with others' affairs. He knew when to get involved, and when he should just sit back and watch. Usually, it was the latter for him.

"Eli's crazy about you," he said matter-of-factly, "I'm sure you knew that."

I frowned. I had had a hunch, but I wasn't positive, "I guess."

"Well," Nolan continued, "Eli's afraid that Zane is trying to move in on you. And I'm sure he's afraid that after he's gone, you'll forget about him and move on."

"That won't happen," I assured, but I wasn't confident of my own words. Curiosity tugged at the back of my brain with an intense burning of desire, and I had to ask the question that was pulling at my heart, "Is Zane trying to 'move in' on me?"

Nolan shrugged, keeping his eyes fixated on the road ahead, "He's trying something. I don't know if he's truly interested or if he's just trying to get a rise out of Eli. Either way, I think Zane is getting what he wants." He made a disgusted face.

I shuddered at that thought. This was Zane's fault. The hatred I had had for him returned much stronger now. I was angry with him for trying to ruin our perfect little household. He was upsetting Eli on purpose. Eli didn't need this.

"And what about Owen?" I asked.

He snorted with laughter and dismissed my question, retorting, "Owen's harmless. It's clear you're not interested in him. That's the only reason he's upset. He doesn't necessarily want you; he just likes the company of attractive women."

I couldn't stop the thoughts that were spiraling in my head, and for some reason, I was beginning to think that all of the arguing was my fault. "Nolan," I began, "you don't hate me, do you?"

He sighed, pulling over on the shoulder of the road and throwing the car into park. He turned his gaze on me and whispered, "No, I don't hate you. I like you, actually. I think you're a nice girl." I smiled, but Nolan continued, "But, I don't like that my friends are fighting over a girl. And honestly, I think you being here is doing more harm than good."

My face fell, but I understood how he felt. Perhaps leaving was my best option.