Chapter Three

I could hear the deafening moans before I could see them. My eyes fluttered open in a panic as I realized what was happening--those moans, they were inhuman. The sounds were deep and rumbling like a storm in April just after the lightning. They were the moans of Stillwalkers and they were close. I thrust my limbs in front of me to feel for my bow in the dark. I caressed the smooth wood and gripped it by a curve in the groove. I ran a sweaty palm along the wall as I stumbled into the sitting area, crouching to the ground and keeping my voice low.

Owen was curled against the couch and he was snoring loudly. I clapped a hand over his gaping mouth and tapped his forehead. Owen blinked rapidly, sitll dazed and confused, but he heard the moans at once and leapt to his feet. He awakened the others and Eli jumped to a start, throwing the covers aside and exposing bare pale skin. He was sweating and petrified. His eyes were wide with fear, and his gaze drifted into an unknown realm. Nolan stood too calm, despite the situation, but he didn't make a sound.

"What do we do?" Eli whispered, his voice sounded horrified.

Owen stood tall. He was the stronger one, but his wavering eyes betrayed him and he looked just as afraid as Eli did. "We leave," he said, "Now." He ushered Nolan to move as they gathered their things.

A thought sparked in my mind and it made me shiver. "You didn't cover our tracks," I snapped, thrusting a finger into Owen's chest, "This is your fault."

Owen was dumbfounded. "My fault? Your dog shouldn't have been outside! I didn't have to save her, you know."

"This isn't the time!" Nolan interrupted, pushing us apart, "We need to go."

He was right, but then I remembered something else. Something I should have thought of before, but I was too hysterical to remember. "Juno!" I gasped, "Where is she?"

Three pale, shaken faces snapped in my direction and that's when we heard a yelp in the distance below.

I scrambled to the fire escape and began to descend the stairs when I saw them. There was a horde of Stillwalkers below and they were surrounding a carcass. Juno. She wasn't yet dead, but her fur was matted with blood and her entrails were spewed onto the concrete. She whined and lifted her head when she saw me. I gasped at the sight, but that was a mistake. The monsters diverted their attention to me. There were at least thirty of them this time-- thirty yellowed faces, their skin parished, and their teeth caked in thick, red blood. It was Juno's blood.

The smell was overwhelming and I lashed out in rage, stringing arrow after arrow into the mouths of the beasts that groaned and groused below me. They were reaching for me now with hungry, feasting eyes, but I wasn't afraid. All that mattered was that I made it to Juno in time. Maybe I could save her.

They fell one by one, but there were too many for me to handle. There was a crack of a gunshot and I dared a glance behind me at Owen. His eyes were sullen, and I knew that was my cue to run. I stumbled down the iron steps, avoiding the arms that threatened to grab me. They moved at a slow pace, but I circled around them at a large distance. I strung another bow which plunged itself into the skull of a woman Stillwalker. Her mouth was gaping at me and she was missing most of her teeth. Her eyes were angry and the determination in those eyes was impeccable, but it faded as she collapsed. She was the last.

I rushed to the pickup and cranked the key in the ignition until the engine roared to life. I was fearful that there were more Stillwalkers coming. If they heard the moans or any of the gunshots, they would come straggling as fast as they could move. I couldn't remember the last time I had power like this.

"Hurry!" I shrieked for the boys. Owen knelt for Juno, who yelped at his touch. She made me wince.

The group piled into the truck and I slammed on the accelerator in reverse. I didn't care where I was going and I was blinded by tears. All I knew was that I had to get out of New York City. I had to get help for Juno.

Once on a path out of the city, Owen clasped a hand over mine on the steering wheel and he looked at me sadly. "Slow down," he whispered. I shook my head persistently. He nodded. I pulled over to the shoulder of the road, checking my mirrors for any Stillwalkers, for fear of awakening them. I hopped out of the truck and walked to the back of the tailgate.

Eli and Nolan joined me, followed by Owen who was carrying Juno in his arms. Her blood was soaking into his green T-shirt--there was a lot of blood. He knelt to the ground and looked up at me. He didn't have to say anything. I knew she was dying.

She was crying; whimpering at the slightest touch. I knelt beside her and threw my arms around her--kissing her, hugging her-- and I couldn't stop crying. "I r-remember when mom and dad brought you home," I trembled as the salt of my tears penetrated her wounds, "You were so small... I d-didn't know a dog could be so small. You were so pretty and I loved you at once." Juno nudged my hand with her nose and I stroked her face--the only part of her untouched by the Stillwalkers' menace. "That's not all I remember," I murmured softly, trying to stay calm, "I remember our first year in this mess together, girl. You were the only one I had left. It was just the two of us, you know. You were a baby. You were reckless, but you were a good girl. You are a good girl.

"I love you, Juno. I love you," I whispered. I could feel her slipping away. "I love you." In that moment, I swear I saw her smile, but it faded so quickly, and the light disappeared from her deep brown eyes.

A large hand rested on my shoulder and I knew it was Owen. I pushed him away. I just wanted to be alone. I ran for a nearby field and I ran and ran until I couldn't run anymore. I dropped to my knees and sobbed; screaming and cursing God for leaving me to bear this burden alone. Without Juno, I was hollow. I was empty. I suddenly had no strength and I felt weak.

"Gabrielle," Owen hushed. His voice was soft behind me, "Juno is going to turn. I need to know what you want to do... Do you want me to shoot her, or would you like to do it?"

I gasped, choking back tears, "I'll do it."

He knelt in front of my face, taking my cheek in his hand and stroking it gently. "No more tears," Owen pleaded. The silence stretched between us and I couldn't speak. He smiled gently and pressed his lips to mine, enveloping me with a kiss.

I pushed against his chest, pulling us apart. "W-What are you doing?"

Owen stood with his arms open in defense. His eyes were fixated on me, "I'm sorry--"

"No. No! You can't--" I shook my head, "No, this is your fault! It's your fault Juno's dead! Don't say you're sorry. It's your fault!" I couldn't take this. My breath caught in my chest and I ran back to the truck where I waited for Juno to return as a monster. As I stumbled over gravel, I felt as if my lungs would collapse, and I dropped to my knees at once. My chest and my eyes felt heavy.

I closed my eyes as my head began throbbing beneath my hot flesh. I couldn't take this. I was not strong enough to take this. I was not strong like my parents were, or like Juno was. Juno lived without fear, yet I lived engulfed by it. Fear; it absorbed my whole life. I was always too careful and too fearful to take chances, and now I understood why. I couldn't make it if I wasn't afraid.

I was out of hope. I had run completely dry of it. This world now was nothing but destruction and death, and I was Death's pawn. I was a player in a game I never wanted to partake in to begin with. The idea made me sick. I bent at the waist and heaved, but nothing came up.

There was a long groan, the groan of some animal, and I opened my eyes--devastated at the sight before me, as I looked into the hungry, menacing brown eyes of my beloved best friend.