Chapter Two

My eyes were too heavy and they wouldn't open all the way. Juno was at my feet, but she was whining and alert, which was unusual for her at this time. She brushed my toes with her muzzle. I had little perception of time anymore. When the infection spread, there weren't people to keep the power and water running, and soon enough, everything came to a halt.

I rose carefully and Juno darted ahead into the hallway, which was so dimly lit that I couldn't see her bound into the sitting area near the fire escape. I shrieked and ran after her. The sitting area was illuminated in bright yellow light--a sign of midday. The light played on what was left of the furniture; casting dark shadows on the pale peach carpet. I had slept much too long, and now something was wrong.

Juno wasn't in the room. She wasn't on the fire escape. In a panic, I lunged for my makeshift bow and charged down the fire escape. No. I would not lose Juno--not now; not after four years with her. Juno, my best friend and my only companion. I couldn't do this without her.

I stopped almost instantly. What was I doing? I couldn't go running into the city. What if there were Stillwalkers about? I would be ripped to shreads then brought back to linger along the streets, yearning for the taste of vile blood. The malodorous and sickening sweet lust for a taste. What if Juno was already dead? I couldn't take a chance...Could I?

The chances of a Stillwalker to be out in daylight was slim. They didn't like the light much, because it was very afflicting to their eyes, which tended to be over-dialated when the sun was at its' highest in the sky. I should be safe.

I took a deep breath, filling my lungs to maximum capacity and holding as much air as I could stand. My instincts told me to run, and fast. My feet began to stir before the rest of my body would, and I wasn't sure I was ready. I didn't have time to think about that. I was here, and Juno needed me. I didn't have time to think anymore; I had to move.

My determination intensified when I heard the subtle squeal of tire tread against pavement, and I ran even faster. Then I heard the moans and I was stricken with fear. As I rounded the corner of the nearest building flat, I saw them-- a swarm of Stillwalkers, about fifteen or so, circling a large, rusted pick up. Juno must be in there. I hoped she was.

I took careful, quiet steps to remain unseen. The pick up shifted and I heard the patter of gunshells dropping to the pavement. One by one, the Stillwalkers fell to the cement with blood oozing from their gaping mouths. The sight made me shudder, but I was astounded as to how quick of a shot the person was. I could see the truck clearly now, and I could see that Juno was inside with a group of three boys. The driver, while holding a long-range shotgun, howled in accomplishment as the last Stillwalker buckled at the knees. He was just reaching as his last moan escaped his rotted mouth. The city was quiet again.

The teens were motionless for a moment, their stares hardening as they exchanged unsettled glances, but eventually, the driver emerged from the vehicle. He made his way slowly towards me, grasping his shotgun in his fist. He looked less dazed and uncertain than the others, but he was tense. For most Survivors, the chances of coming upon another human being were rare.

"Is that your dog, Miss?" the boy asked. He was handsome with sandy hair, but built large with toned biceps and a hard jaw. His voice was soft though, and his eyes were crystallike and blue.

I nodded, "Juno. Her name is Juno." My speech was slurred, which made me look like a fool, but frankly, I hadn't been spending the past four years brushing up on my people skills. No, not in a world full of Stillwalkers. Not that they were incapable of speech, but they didn't exactly make good company.

The boy looked back at the truck. "My name is Owen. That's Nolan and Eli there. Do you have a name, Miss?"

I rolled my eyes. He was already starting to annoy me, "Yes, I have a name. It's Gabrielle."