THE GUARDIAN

LOCATION: SIAKYGU'S HOME, ST. PETERSBURG
TIME: 19:35

▬▬

JASMIN'S EYES ARE everywhere, taking in the cosy little home. she twists around in her seat looking at the colourful potion bottles arranged neatly on a white shelf against a wall that is so light blue, it almost appears white.

"it's so pretty," she sighs with a smile, drawing aaliyah's attention to her. the older girl nods her head, looking around. her eyes fall on the framed patches of fabric hanging on the walls, then the jars of honey she could see lining the countertop in the kitchen. "and eccentric."

"so siakygu," thanda starts only to be interrupted by jeongguk. "bless you." he cuts in. "oh, you weren't sneezing? i forgot that's how you say her name." he smiles smugly, turning to the woman he's teasing. siakygu glowers at him. "please, feel free to turn him to a toad." seolhyun pipes, just about done with the man.

jeongguk makes to retort but siakygu raises a hand. "one more disrespectful word from you and all you'll be able to say is 'ribbit'." she threatens. the boy instantly shuts up, causing aaliyah and jasmin to chuckle. the woman turns her attention back to thanda, suddenly full of smiles. "you were saying?"

"how do we know you don't work for atro?" thanda asks, looking her straight in the eye. the woman doesn't answer and instead just stares back at her. "is this a staring contest?" jimin whispers to aaliyah in confusion. "i think so?" she answers unsurely.

"kamaria, who's atro?" hoseok rubs his knees nervously. "our very own voldermort." she replies in a bored tone, playing with one of the rings on her fingers. "we get our own voldermort?" taehyung asks excitedly. "you say it like it's a good thing." seokjin shoots him a look.

"isn't it?" taehyung beams. hoseok and seokjin share similar expressions as they look at the younger man, worried about his mental health. "in what world is voldemort a good thing?" seokjin queries, genuinely wondering what the man thinks the infamous villain is.

"i think the teleportation messed with his head." yoongi remarks, taking them by surprise. he lounges on a powder blue sofa away from everyone else. his arms are folded over his chest, his eyes closed.

taehyung pouts. "i'm perfectly sane, thank you very much. just very excited about this." he says defensively. "the idea of possible death excites you?" jimin glances at the younger man from the corner of his eye. "no, the idea of a thrilling adventure excites me."

"me too!" jasmin chirps, beaming brightly. "can't relate." aaliyah mumbles, glancing between the excited duo. "same." hoseok rests his cheek on his open palm and sighs softly.

seokjin turns his gaze to a silent nohemi, wondering if the spell hasn't quite worn off. she has been silent since siakygu brought them to her home. "they're still staring at each other." nohemi points out, finally speaking up. seokjin takes a deep breath, glad she is okay.

everyone turns their attention back to thanda and siakygu at nohemi's words. the two are staring unblinkingly at one another, neither of them saying a word.

kamaria rolls eyes, letting out a dramatic sigh. "can we move this along? hoseok is getting on edge." she drawls out. "jimin too." she adds, staring at her hands dazedly. hoseok and jimin snap their attention to her, surprised to know that she has been watching them.

"if i worked for atro, why would namjoon's crystals have sent you here?" siakygu finally speaks, lips pulling up in a subtle smile. "it could be for us to take you down for all we know." seolhyun pipes up with a shrug.

thanda stares pointedly at the older woman, head tilted to the left. "you think namjoon would make things that easy for you? the chief warlock may be benevolent but he's not that benevolent." siakygu says, not looking away from her.

"so what? you're here to make things tougher for us?" aaliyah queries, brows pulled together in confusion. "i'm a guardian. i don't make things tougher, but i don't give things away on a platter either." siakygu turns to the girl with a smile.

"guardian? what do you guard exactly?" seokjin leans forward with interest. "people like you." she replies simply. "what do you mean people like us?" thanda questions, brow raised. "people tasked by the gods."

the room is silent for the longest minute. "the gods must be crazy." jeongguk mutters, lips puckered in a pout. thanda is torn between laughing at the possibly unintentional pun and scowling at the disrespectful statement.

"i'd take that back if i were you." kamaria's eyes shift from her hands to jeongguk. "or what? you'll turn me into a fish?" jeongguk taunts. the corners of girl's mouth lift in a smirk but she doesn't reply. "the gods are perfectly capable of defending themselves." aaliyah responds instead.

"and they're really not going to like what you said. mari's right, you should take it back." jasmin chimes in. kamaria's brow lifts at the nickname but she makes no comment about it.

"what can they do to me?" jeongguk remains adamant. "i once saw someone throw up bullfrogs for a week after making a naughty comment about aphrodite." jasmin lowers her voice.

"salem, i remember that." nohemi winces at the memory. "it was like an orchestra of croaks every time robert opened his mouth." she visibly gags. "they called him ribbit for a year after that." aaliyah adds with the hint of a smile. "not gonna lie, i laughed at that nickname." thanda presses her lips together, holding back a laugh.

seolhyun seems lost about the topic of discussion, unaware of the incident. kamaria offers no comments, simply watching the horrified expressions on the faces of the boys, probably at the image they had conjured in their minds. "what's with you guys and amphibians?" jimin frowns, his expression showing concern. aaliyah pats his shoulder awkwardly in comfort.

"would love to see a repeat of that." siakygu smiles devilishly at jeongguk who finally looks somewhat afraid. he resists the urge to gulp visibly. "aren't you meant to be a guardian?" taehyung glances at her warily.

"yes. i may only protect you from atro and his forces, not from the gods or myself." her fingers tap against the countertop. "a chill just ran down my spine." seokjin slightly shivers, eyeing her carefully. he looks like he's ready to leave and never see any of them ever again. all the boys, except taehyung, do. "good." she grins, fingers still rhythmically hitting marble.

"you guys are so fucking loud." yoongi mumbles, moving around on the sofa. everyone glances at him but he just pretends not to notice. nohemi chuckles lightly, noticing seolhyun roll her eyes in response.

she slams her hand down on the counter loudly, drawing everyone's attention. "now," she smiles when all eyes are on her – well not counting yoongi's as he still keeps them shut.

"are you ready to receive your next instructions?"

☬☬☬

ah their first 'mission' in their journey is coming up pretty soon! it might take a while because i have to plan so it comes out well and not shabby. hope you like this one!