Chapter 19: The Final Answer

Start from the beginning

"Nikki, it's me Aaron," he said smoothly. "I'm here."

"I want to be alone, Aaron," I said flatly.

"No," he argued. "I'm not letting my baby sister to deal with this. You can scratch me, bite me -god damn it! You could do what the heck you want but I'm not letting go of you, ever."

I didn't feel right in his arms. It felt as if some stranger were holding me and not my brother Aaron. I stood still as he held on to me.

"Please go," I said flatly. He didn't go. "Let me go!"

I pushed Aaron away from me as hard as I could. The movement caught him off guard as he let me go and hit hard on the floor. His eyes were hurt and shocked.

"I said to let me go," I said coldly. "You didn't listen." I tore my eyes away from him as stared straight ahead. From the corner of my eyes I saw him stand up in silence. Without hesitating he walked towards the door and exiting my room without a single glance.

"I want to be alone," I whispered as I place my forehead on my knees. I began to cry again.

* * *

Around night or so my mother brought me food and water. She placed the tray on the night stand and sat down on the edge of my bed next to me. I had not moved an inch since Aaron had left my room.

"You need to eat, baby," she whispered as she grabbed the bowl from the tray. "Here try some-"

She was interrupted by a knock on my door. She turned her head towards the door. The door opened slightly. "Mom, someone wants to see Nikki." It was Aaron.

My mother hesitated as she bit her bottom lip she turned her face towards me. She dropped her eyes on the food then raised them towards me.

"I think you need some company other than your family members," she said as she placed her hand on mine's. She stood up as she placed the bowl on the tray.

"You may let them in, Aaron," she said quietly. The door opened wide as he came inside my room. "I'll let you two be alone."

~Matt~

I just stood there in front of Nikki. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to do!

She looked terrible. She had her knees at her chest with the sheets hugging her all around. Her eyes were red and puffy.

God, I thought miserably. For how long has she been crying? Her gaze hurt me in many ways. She looked distance as if her mind was someplace else yet her body was like a stone, not moving. Her hair was messy.

I rushed towards her without thinking it and pulled her into my arms. I hugged her tightly. To my surprise she wrapped her arms around my neck and responded my hug.

Through her desperate hug I stood her feelings. God! She felt so lonely! She felt so lonely and hurt.

I rocked her back and forth as I felt my shirt get wet with her tears. I didn't mind. If she needed a friend I would be here. She sobbed loudly as with her tears I felt her eternal pain.

I stayed silent I didn't want to ruin anything.

"Thank you," she whispered. I froze. She said "thank you" to me.

"D-don't say that," I stammered. "I'm your friend and a guy who likes you. I will always be here for you. I won't ever leave alone. Even in the afterlife. I'll watch over you. I swear I won't let anything happen to you nor leave you alone."

Now it was her turn to freeze. I felt her tense inside my arms. Out of the blue she grabbed the side of face and crushed her lips towards mine. I taste salty water and sweet promise.

I was shocked. What the hell is happening? Then I understood. I gently grabbed her face and pressed my lips more with force.

Just then someone grabbed the back of my collar and yanked me backwards with force I fell on my butt.

"That the hell are you doing?!" He demanded angrily. "In my sister's room!" Aaron was glaring at me with eyes of a killer. It immediately intimated me. I nervously rose up to my feet. "Get the hell out of here," he bloomed.

"NO!" A hoarse voice said. Nikki appeared in front of me with her arm out stretched. "I won't let you kick out my best friend!"

Aaron's mouth dropped open. I was shock, with no words.

"He's my best friend, I won't let you insulted him," she continued angrily. "Leave my room, now!"

Aaron looked like his was about to say something, but swallowed it as he shut his mouth into a straight line and stormed out of the room. He shut the door with such force, almost causing the ground to shake.

Nikki turned around as I held out my arms for her. She buried her face into my chest as I tightly wrapped my arms around her back.

"It's okay," I said securely. My eyes drifted from the window to her bed and finally to her bed stand. Her food was there. Wait... her food!

With sudden realization I grabbed both of her shoulder and pushed her forward. "You haven't eaten?!"

She solemnly shook her head. I pushed her on her bed as she sat down. I reached over the bowl that was lying lazily on tray and carefully brought it forward. "Well, as your friend I will make you eat!"

She smiled. I felt my eyes widen as my mouth dropped open. She smiled!

"Thanks, Matt," she said cheerful. Her smile met her eyes as they light up. She was happy. At that moment I felt relieved.

"Anytime," I responded smiling wide. I grabbed the spoon as I proceeded to feed her. She held out a hand to stop me.

Confused I asked, "What's wrong?"

"When are they going to bury Sami," she quiet asked.

"Tomorrow," I seriously responded. "Are you going?"

"Yes," she finally said with no hesitation. The way she made it sound was like a vow as if it were the last final answer she would give.