Chapter 9: Don't get close

Chapter 9

Don't get close

"NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" I screamed as far as my throat would let me.

"Shhhhh Nikki, calm down, calm down." Arms were wrapped around me as they gently rubbed my back.

"It was just a nightmare," Aaron crooned. "Only a nightmare you're fine am here."

"It -it felt so real," I choked out. "I was -the coffin -death." I couldn't make out a sentence my voice trembled with fear. I was trembling. I was in a coffin and I was thrown!

God, it was so real! Aaron unwrapped his arms around me and looked at me.

"You look terrible," he cringed. "You look like if you've seen a ghost or the devil."

I pressed both hands down my chest. My heart was pounding; it wanted to rip itself out of my body. I realized I had not breathed and inhaled air deeply. It hurt my lungs deeply. As if an elephant pressed down on my chest with its feet.

"You alright," he said looking into my eyes for answers. I nodded.

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

I shook my head. I couldn't say anything. I felt as if my voice was taken away. As if it was miles away from me.

"Ok, but I'm going to stay close by just in case," he assured me as he studied my face.

He lay me down on the bed and covered me with the sheets as he slowly caressed my forehead smiling at me kindly.

"Am here and always will be," he said seriously.

It reminded me of something. I just couldn't put a finger to it, but it was something...important.

He got up and shut the door behind him. I stared at the ceiling with wide eyes. I couldn't close my eyes for fear that that nightmare could return again. The sensation of being shrink alive was terrifying, let alone being thrown and not knowing when you will hit the ground!

I shuttered still feeling it. The way the coffin felt as it pressed all over my body. I decide to do something else to distract me from the nightmare, but what?

I'll find a way. I jumped to my feet, went to my closet, and pulled out my backpack. I yanked out my unimportant notebook and a mini pink flashlight while opening the notebook.

The wrinkled and writing pages automatically fell open to a half-page photo in the front. It was an old gray photo of me and Chris on our first year anniversary as a couple.

He had taken me to the movie theaters and then an arcade as a celebration. Beneath the photo of Chris and me a paragraph was reading by him to me.

"'To my girl, the future mother of my kids, Nikki, geez will I'll try my best to express what I feel though you know am not good at it sorry, Well all I want to write to you is that I love you more and every day. Each time I see you my hands get all sweaty and my heart feels like it's about to explode. I can't even believe that I have your heart and that you are all mine! Each time I'm with you it feels like heaven to me.'"

I skipped the paragraph and went straight down to my favorite line, the last line: I'll become a shooting star just to find you...

I giggled remembering. Such calmness it provoked in me just by reading it.

"I love you, Chris," I whispered as I hugged the notebook. "But I need to let you go."

I felt a sharp pain in my heart as I placed the notebook along with flashlight under my bed. I sighed feeling utterly exhausted. I climbed back to bed and let the darkness consume me into a deep sleep.