Secrets Spilled

After asking Vince to leave I spend the rest of the day cooped up in my bedroom, hidden beneath a comforting blanket with the curtains shut tightly to shield me from all outer light. 

The light has become dreadful. Well, everything, in general, has become rather dreadful. I just can't stand the sight of outdoors anymore. The sun, the birds chirping...everything is just a bit too much happy. The sounds jumble together into a promise of doom somehow. 

I just know things will end terribly, no matter which path I choose. 

The Witch was never giving the two brothers a second chance to make things right. They are being punished for causing their lover's death. It would have been too easy to predict that they would continue stubbornly down the same path, repeating the same mistakes while believing they are the only one in the right, tearing me apart between them. 

I shiver and pull the blanket more tightly around me and open up my laptop, the screen blinding me nearly as much as the burning sun itself. I rub my eyes grumpily and log in my long lost social media. Then, I answer emails from a few stray friends...nothing from my mother...but as I scroll down the page I see another urgent matter pressing. 

Jasmine's father. 

I swallow hard as the bold letters in the subject scream at me from the page. 

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME

PLEASE HELP

I NEED TO HEAR MORE

WHERE IS SHE?

My heart nearly spasms out of my chest and I slam the lid closed. 

Why did I ever interfere? I'll always have this in the back of my mind now...and Jasmine will always be gone forever, a worried father searching for her when she will never be salvaged. 

And Vince did this. 

I did this. 

Indirectly, but I could have shut down her foolishness! I could have gone with her - but no! That would have made no difference. 

It was destiny that brought her here to her death. Such a sick joke this curse has become for everyone involved, but perhaps the innocent victims are the worst part. They are always different. They only have to experience their doom once - but for what purpose? They feed the vampires who are being punished, and they just fall randomly into the chaos, dreaming of Lord Motte until they are on his very doorstep. They walk through the doors with the last ounce of their freedom, just as I did. 

I will never have freedom again. The two brothers have cursed me, and I will never remember why. 

I am almost consumed by angry tears, but I hold them back stubbornly as I open the laptop back up. I read the father's emails carefully, one by one, and then over and over until I have consumed every ounce of his grief. 

And at that moment, I remember every speck of Jasmine's pure face and voice - not to mention intentions! And I...

I remember who I am. 

And I am not an idiot. 

*          *          *          *          *           *

As the moon returned itself to the sky I let myself out of the room and wandered the sullen, and quiet mansion. In the distance, I could hear Vince playing billiards by himself. I was not even aware we had a billiards table, but apparently, we do. 

Part of me wants to wander in his direction and play with him, but I fight the urge and head elsewhere. 

To Edward.