The Monster

The gate was unlocked and I creaked the heavy thing open. 

The hardest thing from there was to step into the misty yard. A yard, which was quite literally from my nightmares. I can't even imagine how Jasmine had the strength to go in here willingly, by herself, at night!

Well, I guess that would be because she'd convinced herself there was nothing to fear. It is nothing but an abandoned building, after all. She's putting her fears to rest by proving to herself that none of it is real. 

But the craziest issue with that theory...is that this place truly does exist. How does one picture this yard without any imperfections despite never have seen it? Just considering that, chills me to the core, and as I take my first shaky step into the nightmarish yard, I feel the terror overtake me. 

I bolt back out of the yard instantly, shivering like a scared little girl. I growl in frustration. "Uh, how did you do it, Jasmine!" I shout, a little too loud. The yard echoes my frustrated cry and I shrink back in fear someone had heard me. 

Soon enough, I was right back at the gate entrance, forcing another step inside. I succeed, and take another, walking down the unpaved, rocky path. I hug myself to keep warm from the crisp air and take in my surroundings. My eyes dart back and forth between my right and left side, taking in everything whilst walking as slowly as I can. 

Eventually, without realizing the distance I had travelled, I made it. I come to the mighty front door, which conveniently and suspiciously remained slightly ajar. Did the damn girl forget to close the door behind her? It's likely freezing in there! Especially if she stayed here the entire night! Thoughts of it being left open just for me to stroll inside of course entered my mind, but I forcefully brush it away. 

It's just an empty mansion, it's just an empty mansion, it's just an empty mansion!

I shiver as I step over the threshold. I stand in a ballroom-like room, illuminated only by the windows that lined the front of the place. The marble floor was freezing as I suspected. So cold, I could feel the dreadful temperature right through my shoes. I look about, shaking my head in astonishment. 

This place is way too spotless to be abandoned. Had it been bought? Perhaps they hire a maid to clean it while they are away. It is awfully cold and hard to heat a mansion like this during the fall and winter, after all. It could just be a summer home for someone rich enough. If that is the case...then I'm trespassing. 

After debating with myself once more, I push myself forward and explore my surroundings. I avoid the staircase and stay on the ground floor. The kitchen and dining area are also spotless. The table even has a fresh tablecloth and a rose in a vase placed in the middle. I bite back my fear, thinking to my dream once more...I could have sworn I dreamt of this table once or twice before.

Finally, after seeing the girl nowhere I decide I should shout at her. That was something I had hoped I could avoid, just in case I was intruding on a home someone still lived in...but I know she has to be here somewhere, and I'm not going to find her sneaking around silently. 

"J-Jasmine!" I shout. The ballroom echoes and the sound travels to the upstairs, but no one answers. I decide to climb the stairs, the elegant, white staircase curved and led to the balcony that oversaw the front entrance below. The carpet was red and nearly spotless...except for one spot. 

I kneeled down to get a closer look at the spatter which appeared to still be moist. I hesitantly poke the substance, drawing back my finger in horror to find that it was indeed still wet...and it appeared to be blood red. 

I stumble backwards, wide-eyed and horrified. Without lingering on the suspicious blood, I bolt down the stairs determined to either run out immediately or find and save a bleeding out Jasmine. I wasn't sure which, as my actions are taking charge of themselves, forcing me down to the part of the mansion I hadn't dared explore yet: The basement. 

The steps were dark, and I flickered on the light. The red steps led downwards into an even darker room, and I considered turning back very strongly. 

However, I began to hear a pitiful whimpering carrying up the steps into my ears. I had no way of knowing what it was. It may not even be human. It could be some random animal. The sound isn't clear enough to be sure quite yet. 

Either way, I have to find out where it's coming from, and with some bold rage, I stomped down the steps. "Jasmine is that you?" I call loudly, and unashamed. 

At the end of the staircase, it was pitch dark and I stand unmoving, the light behind me, and darkness before me. Shaking while I do so, I reach out in front of me, reaching for the wall to guide me and hoped for a light switch. 

None were to be found. 

The whimpering grew louder as I walked deeper into the hallway, the cold, stone wall guiding me as I go.  "Jasmine?" I whisper again, dreading any sort of answer. 

Please tell me this has been one insane nightmare. One crazy, unforgettable nightmare. 

"S-Sarah?" A weak voice whimpers. My blood runs cold as I step into something damp, the moisture soaking through the soles of my running shoes as my foot sinks into the substance. I gasp loudly and freeze in place, my foot slightly lifting out of it.  

"Jasmine? Where are you?" I hiss. 

"Be quiet." She warns. "He...he will hear you. I should never have come here, and neither should you have." She chokes, sobbing as quietly as she could. I felt my heart crack with pain. 

"Leave, before he hears you." 

"I have to at least get you out of here first!" I protest but to no avail. 

A cold, hard hand grabs my waist and tugs me towards it. I scream at the top of my lungs, my heart pounding with the power of an atomic bomb. The hand throws me out of the way, and I crash into the wall from where I had come. 

"Jasmine!" I scream again, calling out to the girl desperately. I want to make a run for it so badly, but I can't shake my need to save the girl who is clearly bleeding and fighting for her life!

"Go!" She screams louder than I thought possible from such a small, timid girl. 

I let out my mournful tears then, and turn and run. 

I let out a shocked cry as the cold hand grabs my wrist and throws me back to where I was, me helpless to the strength of the monster. 

"Let go of me, you bastard!" I throw my right fist towards the monster, managing to strike its chest, not doing much but briefly inconveniencing him. He shoves me to the ground and out of the way and turns its back. I hear the strike of a match, and quiver in fear as I watch it light a lamp with the flame. 

It slowly picks up the lamp and holds it in front of him, but his face is still concealed in the shadows. What is uncovered, however, is the stilled body of the poor girl in front of me. 

Jasmine, wide-eyed and terrified, laid without moving a muscle. Blood soaked the carpet that surrounded her and most terrifyingly....the girl was sliced in half. Her bottom half left behind by her torso which had apparently dragged itself away from the scene in an attempted escape. 

I leaned back my head without being able to stop it, my eyes briefly meeting the eyes of the dark monster before I finally fainted.