Wits

"I do not forget that you are my love. I know that! That being said, I shall neither lay a hand on you nor let you go." He stubbornly replies.

"You must let me go!" I demand, covering my neck wound with my hand. It was bleeding profusely and I was seeing spots in my vision again. My legs were wobbling beneath me but I was still standing against him.

"I will keep you no matter what you say. You won't be human any longer before you know it and you'll need me." He challenges right back. "You're already trapped."

"Then I will make sure to throw myself out of the highest window in this place and shatter every bone I have while I'm still human." I bite back at him. I couldn't care less about my life anymore. He was right.

It's over no matter what I do. Now's not the time to fear death or go through idiotic denial.

He is physically hurt by my threat but quickly recovers, standing as emotionless as a statue. "Then I will chase and catch you before you get there." He steps closer. "I'm much faster than you. I will catch you and soften your fall if I have to."

"Then I'll run away in the night and you'll never see me again." It was another low blow, a promise that he will relive the same pain he felt with Isabella.

He winces painfully. "Then I will chain you down every second you're out of my sight."

"And I will starve myself until you set me free." I retaliate.

"Then I will force feed you every single meal until you give up this foolish rebellion." He steps closer again, limping as if physically wounded permanently by my threats. "Quit denying our destiny! We were supposed to be together Isabella!"

"I will never give up. Isabella is dead!" I don't back away as he approaches. "I will fight you every second until I am free or die trying, just like her," I say sternly, swallowing the enormous lump in my throat.

He shakes his head and weakly walks away from me. It was obvious that he was broken inside and out as he quickly returned, wielding the sword every girl before me has had to face.

The needle sword.

"Don't make me." He says neutrally as I back away. I couldn't help but weep at the sight of the horror in front of me. He would rather kill the love of his life than let me free.

"Please!" I plead, holding my hands up in front of me as I stumble backwards.

"Get down." He commands, brutally ignoring my pleas.

I fall to my knees, obeying him for God knows what reason.

Was I just going to lay down and accept my death like this?

No.

I lunge forward, knocking him off of his feet by attacking his balance. He stumbles at my unexpected attack but doesn't fall completely. He's much stronger than I.

While he recovers, I swipe a knife from the dining table and hold it in front of me and face him. "If I am to die, I'm not scared to kill you in the process."

"You have the courage, yes." He says, approvingly. "But courage and success do not always walk hand in hand." He warns sadly, already accepting my death at his hand. "You're simply stalling the inevitable."

I watch with tears in my eyes as he slashes the sword across me, scratching the surface of my skin quite expertly. Blood was drawn and I winced in pain. It stung like a needle, but I knew the damage was bad. I don't even have time to spout out another plea before he slashes me again, even deeper this time. So deep in fact, I had believed he had sliced me completely. 

They always did say you wouldn't be able to feel it until it was too late. 

My eyes widen in horror, my body going in shock as I pictured myself in half like poor Jasmine.

Thankfully, he didn't slice me as badly as I expected, but he still hurt me terribly. I fall to the ground as my hands clasp my impossibly deep wound. My side was absolutely torn, and I weakly begin to accept my death.

Even if I made it to the hospital in the next half an hour, providing that I escape...I don't think even the best doctor in this entire city could save me before I bleed out or my organs shut down. Surely he must have spliced something important in half. My kidneys, my stomach, my intestines surely...I'll be lucky if that is all. 

This could be my last conscious moment right here, right now.

"So killing me is your destiny?" I manage to blurt out, blood sputtering from my lips. I let out a sob as my vision finally blurs to the point of blindness. "You speak of destiny so respectfully. You truly think killing me will break the curse? This is your only chance to free yourself." My last point turns out to be my strongest argument.

He hates the damn curse more than he loved Isabella.

 Apparently.

His arms wrap around me as I lay on the cold floor. The entire world was feeling impossibly cold, but his touch awakened me slowly. He didn't speak, but I could feel it.

He was healing me.

Somehow. Some way.

"You win." He says weakly.

My heart begins to slowly beat stronger while the warmth returns to my body. He eventually steadily raises me to my feet, finally whole again.

I whimper weakly as I look down at my side with dread in my heart.

It's back together again.

I breathe out an exhausted sigh of relief and moan out my thanks to the Lord before he roughly releases me. He half-heartedly gestures towards the front door and shoves me towards it. "Come on, leave my sight, Cynthia." He says weakly, clearly still wounded. He perhaps will never get over this but I can't feel guilty about that now.

I don't speak, I only run, passing through the door and that terrible front yard without hesitation. The sun had set, so I followed the dim light the moon provided. 

I wept in relief as I made it out of the gate and onto the dirt road. I could even see the dirty motel, illuminated by the street lights. However, in the distance waiting for me, something gave me an entirely new reason for me to weep.

The sounds of sirens enter the air and I see the lights of police cars in the motel parking lot.

And I know in my heart what is going to happen next.

They aren't here to save me from that monster.

They're here because that cranky, wrinkly lady opened my room when I didn't check out on time.

They found everything.

The cash, the IDs. 

Everything.