The Mansion

*Couldn't find a picture that fits the whole mansion and yard description, but here's what I'd imagine the mansion alone would look like*

I stare dead-eyed at the menu, finding no words within myself. 

I thought I had finally put that insanity to rest, that undying hunch of the reality of that damned legend finally killed off my mind. The travel was always a good distraction. The research proved it to be impossible. Vampires simply don't exist. But now...this girl's one-sided conversation with me is spreading doubt within my mind like a hellfire unleashed. 

I close my eyes tightly, clenching my fists together. Why did I let this happen? Why did I have to ask what she was doing here?

"Um...well, that's certainly an interesting trip. I hope you put it to rest." I simply answer, going back to default. I'd like to think my curiousity wouldn't get the best of me if she stops talking about it now. That might have been true...if she had stopped talking about it. 

"I hope so too. It's been something I've never been able to shake. My mother and father thought I was crazy...well, they still kinda do." She giggles uncomfortably, while I force myself to give her a sympathetic smile over the top of the menu I held in front of me to conceal most of my reaction. 

A panicked reaction. 

"When are you going to see it?" I ask, unable to stop myself. 

"Tonight." She smiles. "I want to get it over with, come back and get a good nights rest, and then be on my way." 

"Good for you." 

The waitress comes and takes our order. I order a hamburger, while innocent-girl Jasmine orders a Ceaser salad. 

"Ugh, I'm so jealous." Jasmine gushes. "How do you stay so thin? I can never have hamburgers or else I'm bloated for the entire day." She frowns anxiously when she sees my lack of response. I simply stir the ice cubes in my iced tea. I don't mean to ignore the poor girl, but if I don't distract myself somehow I'll run out of here before I even get a chance to chow down on that burger. 

"Uh...well, I mean, I'm always on the move. As long as you burn the calories..." I trail off awkwardly and shrug my shoulders. "We're all different. Ceaser salads are good too." 

Jasmine smiles, thankful I had responded at all at this point. "So, tell me. Did the legend bug you as much as it bugged me?" 

I grimace but force myself to answer to shut it down as quickly as she brought it up. "No, I really don't know what you're talking about. Sorry." 

I could have considered opening up to Jasmine about the whole thing, but the entire situation felt too eerie. Too good to be true...or too bad to be true if such a thing is possible. Besides, the girl might be crazy and force me to come with her. I am NOT opening up that can of worms. 

"But even so, I hope it's quite the adventure." I smile widely, which Jasmine reciprocates eagerly. "Now, let's eat!" I smile as our food arrives. 

*          *          *          *           *

My night's sleep is quite restless. So restless, in fact, I would barely even count it as sleep. 

Not only did I dream of Lord Motte once again (a rather frustrating occurrence since I had not dreamt of him in over one blissful year), but I also dreamed of Jasmine. I can't remember exactly what she was doing at the mansion or manor (whatever you want to call it), but she was present. I just couldn't put my finger on it. 

I went back to the diner on my own around 10:00 a.m. and had a light breakfast, with a nice, hot coffee to get me going. The Pride parade is in two hours, and I have no choice but to go without sleep if I want to make it in time. 

I make my way back to my room to get ready but am startled by the abrupt knocking of an angry hotel clerk on Jasmine's door. 

"Is there a problem?" I ask unamused. 

"Check out is at 11:00 a.m. and the girl is late." The wrinkly lady mutters. 

"The poor girl was likely out late last night and slept in." I jump in. "I'll get her up." 

"Not my problem!" The lady hisses. "Get her up and out within the hour." She stalks away quickly at the sound of another customer entering the front doors. 

I roll my eyes as soon as she leaves. This place isn't exactly booming, they can stand to let one poor girl sleep in past check out, can't they? At least without banging on her door. Charge a late fee like everyone else!

I knock on her door lightly. "Jasmine? It's me...Sarah. Is everything alright?" 

No answer. 

I knock louder. "Come on, Jasmine. I'm sorry, they want you to check out. You can sleep some more in my room if you need to." 

No answer. 

"Come on, Jasmine. How about you come to the parade with me?" 

Absolutely nothing is on the other side of the door. My face whitens, as I realize where I must look for her. 

I glance at my watch. I have twenty minutes, tops, if I want to make it. 

I groan audibly and skitter back to my room and slam the door closed. On the other side, I slowly slide down the door, overwhelmed by my conflicted feelings. 

I shouldn't care. This is the girl's concern. I just met her yesterday. I'm here for the parade, nothing else. Earn some well-needed, and legal cash and be on my way. Get a nice cheque and cash it in like any other good citizen. Grow my portfolio so I can stop this nonsense lifestyle once and for all!

But no, the guilt is devouring me as I stall what I'll inevitably decide on. 

Fighting myself, I storm out of my room and past the front desk. 

"Where is the girl?" The lady shouts. 

"I'm going to find her." I pause only briefly to answer and begin running outside. 

A dirt road wasn't far away, just like she said, and sure enough, it was a dead end road too. I sprint down it until I reach a closed iron gate, surrounded by a thick treeline no one would dare try to cut through. The gate is the only way.

I lean against the gate to catch my breath and peer up at the sight before me, dread swallowing me like a black hole. 

The mansion was there alright, cherry trees, pond, angel statue and all. To top it all off, the dreadful, black but very much alive trees, lined the entire thing. 

The Lord Motte mansion is even more captivating than I imagined.