Inhuman

Lord Motte covers my mouth to prevent me from screaming and warning the girl.

Part of me wants to bite his fingers off and scream my lungs out, but another part of me realizes I can't fight this. This isn't even my battle anymore, is it? The idea of being a heroine drives me, but another part realizes that this is destiny's doing...and I've seen enough for one day to prove that there is no escaping it.

The poor girl is meant to die. She doesn't even get a chance to defend herself like the others either. The Lord simply won't even give her a chance.

I wiggle against him and he pulls me to the ground to confine me easier. To my surprise, he pulls me down onto his lap during our struggle and holds me down with both of his arms. I yelp in protest but he ignores me.

The door downstairs creaks open. "Hello?" A gentle voice calls.

I groan into his open palm. "At least give her a chance!" I manage to slip past his grasp. "We just ate! We can afford to let her go!"

He grumbles under his breath and doesn't give an answer to me directly. "Brave girl, going straight to the basement." He comments to himself.

He finally releases my face from his hand and shushes me menacingly. I reel back in offence but keep my mouth closed.

"Fine." He finally acknowledges me after I pout at him.

I didn't even bother to remove myself from his lap. I thought he wouldn't notice but-

"You comfortable?" He raises his eyebrows. "If you wanted to jump right into being physical you could have just said so."

I growl and stand up and away from him. "Don't flatter yourself."

"Well, no one else is doing it." He says to himself as he peaks around the corner. "She's coming towards the steps. Prepare yourself. Maybe I'll let you have her."

"Give her a fair chance just like everyone else. Let her go if she impresses you." I say sternly.

He looks back at me irritably. "No. How about we all have dinner and if she impresses me more than you impress me, then she can live and you can take her place."

I frown. "You wouldn't dare."

He smiles and tips up my chin. "No, of course not, but it's funny to see your reaction. Perhaps, you'll learn to stop taking my acceptance of you for granted. I can change my mind in one second."

"And be without your love for the rest of eternity." I snap lightly.

"True." He shrugs. "Come. Let's have some fun with her."

I follow him unhappily. "You are vile," I whisper behind him to which he only sniggers.

The girl's voice carries throughout the dining area as we approach closer.

"I'll meet the girl and you get the food." He says abruptly as another knock at the door startles me.

I grumpily go along and open the door, coming face to face with a blank-faced waitress. "Delivery for Lord Motte." She says neutrally, holding up a huge bag.

I shake my head and take it from her stiffly. "Thank you."

She says nothing and turns on her heel, asking for no money just as I suspected.

I follow after the distant sounds of Lord Motte, happily greeting the unsuspecting girl. I walk in to find him sitting her calmly at the table at the head where I once sat. I can't help but furrow my brows in instinctive jealousy.

Even worse, my jealousy flares up once I see her gushing over him. She isn't afraid whatsoever as she gazes at him fondly as he sits beside her. She's complete unsuspecting. She wants to be here.

Are the girls always like this? I hold my growl of annoyance in as I approach the table and sit down loudly on the other side of the table, making sure to face the girl head on.

She's cute, that's for certain. I clench my jaw tight as I drop the food down the table.

"Care for something to eat?" Lord Motte offers kindly, plucking it out for her and placing it out before her.

She nods enthusiastically and unveils her chosen meal. "A Greek salad!" She says joyfully. "How did you know that was my favourite?"

I have to grit my nails into my skin to stop myself from slapping the fakeness out of her. She wasn't even doing much wrong. She's actually similar to Jasmine from the looks of things so far and I have a soft spot for Jasmine...but still. This girl needs to shut her trap and we need to hurry to the part where she realizes she's the real dinner here, not her dumb little salad.

Lord Motte sneaks me a mischievous look.

The girl digs in delicately with a fork while I watch her intensely. She finally seems to notice me for the first time. "I-I don't recall you being part of the myth...I don't even recognize you."

"Ignore her. She's just a guest." Lord Motte cuts in.

I regret telling him to give her a fair chance.

"Okay." The girl giggles nervously.

"What's your name, sweetheart?"

I grind my teeth absentmindedly while she speaks.

"Daphne." She blushes.

"Tell me Daphne. What's the worst thing you've ever done?" He gets right to the point, which I notice is for my sake.

"Uh-uh I don't know what you mean." She stutters, already off put. "I thought you'd ask me something different."

The Lord just shrugs. "Let's here it, Dee. Beware, I will know if you're lying."

Her face whitens. "I....uh sold my mother's wedding ring for my drug addiction." She looks to the ground shyly in shame.

The Lord sighs to himself. "And are you still addicted to this drug?"

"Not anymore, thankfully." She whispers.

"And what's the best thing you've ever done?" He jumps right to it once again.

She pauses even longer, a slow look of panic crossing her face. "I...uh, hope to be a nurse someday. I start college next fall."

"Lie." The Lord snorts. "Even if that were true...what a weak answer! That wouldn't even be an accomplishment yet!"

Her eyes widen, utterly taken over by her panic.

"What are you really applying for?"

A small smile twitches at the corner of my lips.

"Cosmetology."

"Far throw from nursing." I can't help but snort just as the Lord did.

She sends me a look. I expect a glare but instead she is clearly asking for my help. "What's going on?" She whispers.

"I assume you know the stories. The myth has come to an end. You came one girl too late." I answer her, feeling a tinge of sympathy.

But it is a strange thing.

I had to force the sympathy out of myself. It wasn't an automatic response for the poor girl. I didn't feel at all like how it was when I knew Jasmine needed my help.

Lord Motte reaches under the table and squeezes my knee. His gestures towards me are multiplying by the minute...and I nearly like it.

I really am not human anymore.