Destiny

"What specifically are you referring to?" I reply flatly.

Edward throws his arms at his side and groans with impatience. "Yes. I never let you go, nor will I ever! But that is not just because I can't stand being dumped for my brother." He insists, grabbing me firmly by both of my shoulders. "My brother is a sick, sick man. He enjoys toying with you, making you fall for him...but he has no intention of running off with you and marrying you and having a so-called happily ever after."

I frown and pull back from him. "That's a strong thing to insinuate."

Vince shakes his head impatiently. "No, screw insinuating. I am absolutely promising you that you are not safe in his hands."

"And I am safe in yours?" I shiver and rub my arm uncomfortably. "You almost killed me out of spite, yet, you were sure that I was your long lost beloved."

"I admit that was a dire mistake. A mistake I inevitably did not go through with." Vince replies remorsefully. "And I will forever hate myself for just one more failure in your eyes." He holds his hand gently to my cheek, barely skimming it as if out of respect.

"I do forgive you for that. You have saved my life to make up for it...I suppose." I whisper dismissively.

Vince holds out his arms, asking permission to hold me and put this behind us. I let him, folding myself into his warm arms and lean my head against his chest.

I close my eyes and picture the reality I have found myself in. How could things get worse? Truly?

"I am just unbelievably troubled by the fact that you almost killed me." I lightly scoff, trying to make humour of the situation...but tragically failing. He only stiffens at my remark, but continues to hold me desperately still.

"I almost wish we could start over again." I whisper.

"I only wish he would have just showed up even one day later. I needed more time." Vince says remorsefully. "I was nearly gaining your trust just before he walked through that damn door."

I don't reply. I can't deny it. He was about to win me over but now I'm having doubt after doubt, and sure, he can appeal to the part of me that pities his sad, sad story...but I still have yet to decide or hear Edwards side of the story...but at the same time, I'm partly terrified that I will listen to Edward and Vince will end up being right.

"I...have to speak with Edward eventually. I can't decide anything before then." I conclude quietly into his chest. "I hope you understand."

"I-I do...but I want you to consider one other option. Something we have always failed to do before. It might just save you." He pleads.

"What?"

"Flee. We make a run for it before he can plead his case and we'll avoid all possibility of your death if we are not here anymore." He crinkles his nose and looks about the room. "For all I know, this whole place could be cursed."

I laugh sharply. "You know what? It might be. Why exactly haven't we run before?"

"It's against the witch's wishes. We are to remain here until you hear both our cases and then make your decision on who your destiny belongs to." Vince explains, doubt in his eyes. "Some part of me just thinks this is just some sick joke and that we'll never stop the cycle unless we break that rule."

"Or an even greater disaster could follow." I mumble half-heartedly. "If we break the rules that could mean we may never get another chance again and you'll be left alone, forever, and immortal."

"True, but I'd be willing to take that chance if you are for it. We have to try it eventually if everything keeps failing." Vince walks away and sits at the chair in front of my dresser, his head held in his hands. "I wish I could just kill my brother and get it over with."

"No. Don't do that." I softly brush his hair back. "We can't settle this with violence. That will only lead to my death, won't it?"

"Likely..." He mutters. "I can't go on like this though. Please tell me you'll just consider very carefully. You always end up jumping the gun and choosing him and..." He trails off sadly. "I just can't stand to see you die another God damn time."

"I understand." I sigh, sitting down beside him on the tiny inch of space the chair has left.

He groans softly and pulls me into his lap. "Please, just let me hold you for a while. It might be a while before I can again." He nestles his head into the curve of my neck, pecking me softly there.

"Yes." I whisper...but my mind is already wandering elsewhere. It was a terrible, terrible thought, but I was beginning to accept my inevitable death.

I believe there is something working against us, and it is more than just Edward. We have to plan everything out perfectly. Perhaps, we are supposed to reenact destiny as it should have been, or perhaps Vince is supposed to finally let us go. That is the only thing that we haven't tried other than breaking the rules...and yet, I know for certain that he will not let me go.

Perhaps, not for another hundred tries.

I suppose I will definitely have to hear Edwards case.