CHAPTER 26 - part1 - AN UNEXPECTED DESTINATION

Start from the beginning

It was not that difficult to convince Nanhi to stay in Ruchi's quarters till she returned; Megha did it with promises of fun during their short trip to her home-town next week. Convincing Shilpa to open up before she reached her guardian's home was not tough either since she herself wanted to speak out and do whatever she could to stop more innocent people from self-destruction. Her only demand was anonymity and Mohan had agreed readily (probably, having dealt with such things in the past).

She chose the beach-side restaurant as the venue for their meeting as she didn't want prying eyes from the likes of Ruchi on her quarters. The gossip mills would start running at even the slightest whiff that Mohan visits her more than what is deemed socially acceptable. More importantly, she didn't want any of the students involved in this to find out about Mohan and her interest in Shilpa and in them.

They had to wait for only about five minutes: Mohan joined them soon. He nodded his head with a slight smile in acknowledgement in her direction and swiftly slipped into the seat near her, opposite Shilpa. Before he could start the conversation, Shilpa spoke up:

"Aren't you Mohan Bhayya, Arvind uncle and Indu aunty's son?"

"Yes, I am. And I think I know you too. You are Rashmi's sister, aren't you?" Mohan sounded equally surprised.

"So, you are the person in disguise from the "good side" as Megha Ma'am tells, who wanted to talk to me." Her eyes were wide in surprise.

Megha noted that despite the seriousness of the situation, Shilpa was talking in a little more relaxed manner.

She must be knowing that Mohan will help her.

I wonder how they know each other for her to trust him so easily...

Mohan seemed to have read the question in her eyes, for he answered it immediately:

"Her sister Rashmi was my batch-mate and sort-of-friends since our fathers were best friends. That is how I know Shilpa."

"Okay." Megha replied, idly wondering what sort-of-friends actually meant - polite, formal friends who are more of only acquaintances or friends who have ventured past friendship into the zone of romance?

Well, I can hardly fault Mohan if it is the latter case, can I? After all, Rashmi is a sophisticated beauty anyone would love to have as their girlfriend.

Megha thought glumly and sighed.

She decided to keep such thoughts aside for now and started listening attentively as Shilpa answered Mohan's questions. Mohan didn't take any notes, but switched on the voice recorder in his mobile after Shilpa granted permission rather reluctantly. His question were precise and straight to the point, yet not blunt enough to hurt the girl's feelings or re-awaken her pains. He was so tactful that at the end of their conversation, Shilpa rose with a relaxed smile as if she had removed all her burden and has become free of all the sins. Mohan has ensured to make her feel nothing but self-satisfied by emphasising how her help to him will aid the unravelling of the whole business.

As they neared her car, Mohan gestured Megha to speak alone. Telling Shilpa to wait a minute, she walked over to him.

"Do you know the place you are going? You see, it is almost night and you'll have to drop her off quickly, or else, Nanhi will get upset." He asked with concern.

"Well, it's true both Shilpa and I don't know the exact location, but I feel as if I know this place, a strange familiarity is there in the street name and house name. I guess maybe I have visited one of my old classmate's home there." Megha shared her thought. The address really seemed very familiar to her and she was sure that once she started the trip, she'll remember the way just fine.

"Then I'm coming with you," Mohan said, "Shilpa already knows who I am and it doesn't matter much if her guardians also find out; my mission is almost over."

Megha was happy in his success, but strangely felt a twinge of sadness also as he spoke.

"Besides, she's like a sister. I need to ensure her safety there." he concluded.

By then, they had walked back to the car. Megha hadn't noticed that she was walking along with Mohan.

"Shall we start, then?" Mohan asked, in a more jovial tone, probably for Shilpa's sake. Megha noticed her looking at the two of them curiously from the front passenger seat. Megha immediately put on a smile and nodded in agreement. Mohan immediately opened the back door and seated himself. Megha took the cue and sat herself on the driving seat.

It was more difficult than she expected to find Shilpa's guardian, Mr. Rakesh Kumar's home. The city at night was not at all like the city in daylight: the artificial lighting was harsh on her eyes and she drove slower than usual. In all this hustle and bustle, Mohan's voice in her ears, directing them along the right way, was indeed a blessing to her.

Soon, she parked the car in Mr. Rakesh Kumar's spacious garage which already contained another car. It would've been only a fifteen-twenty minutes journey from the university in day time, but it took her more than half an hour to reach, partly because they started from the beach, not the university and partly because she was not that fond of driving at night. The house was large, with light flooding out to the stone pavement around it through its tall French windows.

The trio got out of their car and approached the front door. As soon as they rang the bell, the front door was opened by a sari-clad, kind-faced woman of about fifty five years.

"Megha! What are you doing here?" Her face displayed pleasant surprise as she noticed Megha.

Megha was too shocked to speak.

Now I understand why the address seemed familiar. After all, Ma had repeated it to her an infinite number of times, stressing how it was only a fifteen minutes from her campus. If it had only been Mrs. Rakesh who had attended my call, I would've been more prepared. But no, the fates just had to make me speak to Mr. Rakesh, to whom I had never spoken to, so that I walk in to this house completely oblivious.

Shilpa, who seemed to have gained some light-heartedness after her meeting with Mohan spoke up.

"Aunty, she is my teacher."

"Oh, so you were the one who called Rakesh today," she smiled at her with the same old warmth. Megha wondered how she could manage that so easily after what had happened between the two families. She tried to reciprocate to the best of her abilities.

Mrs Rakesh's smile lessened just a millimeter on seeing Mohan who stood behind Shilpa.

"And who is that?" She asked, eyes scanning his ruffled appearance doubtfully.

Again, Shilpa spoke up:

"You mean Mohan Bhayya?" At the word Bhayya, the intensity of Mrs. Rakesh's glare decreased.

"He is my Dad's best friend's son. He offered to come with us so that the two of us won't have to come all the way at night unaccompanied."

A part of Megha's mind which was not numbed by this rather unexpected meeting observed how the hostility in their hostess's gaze melted down at those words.

"Come inside everyone." She invited them warmly.

Megha entered the house with an obligatory smile, fervently praying to give her the strength to endure the presence of Rashmi's fiancé and the offerer of her first serious proposal, Mr. Rajeev Kumar.

                                                           ***************************