The Announcement

Capitol Citizen's P.O.V.

I stand in the ocean of Capitol citizens in front of President Snow's ornate mansion as we eagerly await the announcement of what the special twist this year's Games bring. Everyone around me is bursting with excitement, talking about the Games and possibilities for the Quarter Quell.

"I wonder what the twist is this year," a woman says to me as she twirls a ringlet of her purple, curly hair with her manicured fingertips.

"This is so exciting! Everyone loves a good Quarter Quell!" a man says in a posh voice, which we all have here in the Capitol.

Suddenly, everyone around me explodes cheering at the top of their lungs as President Camerius Snow walks onto the balcony of his mansion. He is dressed in a brilliant, white tuxedo with golden buttons, and neatly pinned to his jacket, which seems to be a tradition in the Snow family, is a pure white rose. He smiles and waves to the crowd to silence us, "Welcome, citizens, to this lovely announcement! As you all know, this year is one of our beloved Quarter Quells! So, there will be a special twist to make the Games even more...interesting."

He steps away from the microphone to select an envelope from a mahogany box. The number 150 is printed on the back of the envelope in elegant, black digits. He pulls out a sheet of paper and unfolds it. The President clears his throat before saying, "To remind the Districts of the bitter choices they made in the Dark Days and in the rebellions, this year, the first tribute to be reaped in each District has to choose who their District partner will be to go into the Arena with them! Who ever they choose, however, must still be within the eligible age to compete in the Games."

Some people gasp while others cheer in excitement at the news. At first, I don't really know what to think. I know that the Games are incredible and all, but sometimes I can't help but feel bad for those in the Districts. If I was to choose who would be going into the Arena with me, that person would surely hate me forever and try their hardest to kill me for it. But I guess that's just the point...to make it more exciting and interesting, like the President said.

I push away my thoughts and start cheering and acting just as excited as everyone else around me, because this is a very special day. And since I'm a loyal citizen of the Capitol, I love everything about the Games, even if it is emotional some times. That's why everyone loves it so much!

~~~~~

Hola, fellow Wattpaders! Just wanted to say THANK YOU for reading this first chapter!!! Also I wanted to remind you to hit that star in the corner. Go on...you know you want to. :P Anyways, feel free to leave a comment. I love replying to questions and comments really help me not feel so alone when I'm writing! Another thing! I'm not sure how often updates will be since I'm doing school and all, but I'm still pretty active on Wattpad so don't worry!

~MK