Chapter 12 - Cameron

After delivering the letter, Cameron and Samuel ran for hours outside the city. Cameron needed to burn off his anxiety so he wouldn't be tempted to drink for hours and be piss drunk by the time Olivia read his letter. He didn't know how long it would take before she could read it but he trusted his gut that it would be after she put Chloe to bed.

He hoped she would call tonight rather than tomorrow. He wouldn't be able to sleep until she called. The thought of her reading his story made him antsy. He wanted to hurry back to his phone and not risk missing her call.

Cameron and Sam took down a young buck together for dinner and stripped the bones clean before heading back to their motorcycles parked in a secluded area off a dirt back road and returning to the city. The sun was setting when they left and the western horizon was purple as the last bit of light quickly vanished when they arrived at the apartment.

Sam tried to sneak into the bathroom first for a shower, but Cameron over-powered him in a brief scuffle and got in there first.

Huffing, Sam turned on the TV and flopped down on the couch to wait his turn.

Even though his body was exhausted and stuffed to the brim with venison, Cameron's muscles still twitched with anxiety.

What if she didn't call? What if she refused to give him a chance at all? What if she burned his letter instead of reading it? Could she really shut him out for good? What about Chloe?

He forced those thoughts from his mind as he stripped down and hopped into the scalding shower, letting the steamy stream of water wash away his anxiety and negative thoughts.

Sam went in after and Cameron turned the TV on, clicking idly through the channels. When Sam came out, he swiped the remote from Cameron and settled on a zombie show as he joined Cameron on the couch. Cameron didn't argue. His mind wasn't on the show, but rather whether Olivia would call or not.

The show ended and Sam put a movie on, while Cameron continued to sit listlessly next to him.

It was midnight when his phone rang and her name appeared on the screen.

Cameron's heart jumped in his throat. Even Sam's heart skipped a beat and began to race as he stiffened on the couch next to him.

Picking up the phone, he lifted it to his ears as he rose to his feet and went out to the narrow balcony for some privacy. "Hi, Olivia."

Goddess, simply saying her name made him sweat.

"Hi..."

Hesitation laced her voice, making him swallow as his stomach bunched up into knots.

He closed the balcony door behind him and leaned out on the metal railing. "How are you?"

"Um..." There was a rustle before she sighed. "Not sure."

"Well, I'm scared as shit," he admitted, hoping that a confession of his own feelings would help her to open up with her own.

"You are?"

"Yeah. You know why?"

She hesitated. "Um..."

"Because I fucked up, Olivia. You're the mother of my child. I failed you both and now more than ever, I'm scared as shit that I fucked up so bad, I can't fix it. I want to make it up to you. I want the chance to be a part of your lives. Five years were taken from me and there's nothing I can do to go back and fix it. I just want a chance, Olivia. Just one chance."

"I know," she said in a small voice.

Silence fell on the line as he closed his eyes and listened to the sound of traffic on the streets below. A gentle, cool breeze nipped at his flesh.