"Do what you were ordered to do, of course! You were ordered to capture both harani but Lakban couldn't find you anywhere, so he sent one of the hakadanani to tell me. Yes, he knew about your orders and he was ordered to make sure that you execute it. I have to admit that he isn't the smartest lakadu, but he knew that it was best to let me know that you were missing. And now I find you right here, huddled inside a broom closet like the common pest you are. I knew this would happen, so I decided to come here and take matters into my own hands. I'm tired of relying on imbeciles like you to get the job done. You worthless piece of garbage! It is time for everyone to know that Gorasha is back. No more hiding in the shadows."

It was the last thing that Sami expected. He knew that getting all the harani that Hara needed was important but this... Revealing themselves would mean that the Gorasha was about to do greater things, more sinister things. He didn't know what purpose the harani would serve but he knew that it would not be for anything good.

"Where is the bayaharadu?" Avarna asked.

"I... I don't know. I've been here for hours. I swear!"

"Hmm... No need to swear. I believe you. You have turned out to be a coward, Sami, and I can't say it baffles me. I thought you were one of our better members, not that you ranked among the best but still... Now, you're simply a sad disappointment. You can't even do this very simple task yourself. You have no place in the Gorasha. You deserve to die like your brother."

"Don't talk about my brother!" Sami found himself shouting despite the fear he felt. "You have no right. He didn't do anything wrong... He..."

"He was weak, just like you. Pathetic, weak, and useless."

"No!" Sami moved to get up in one swift motion. He didn't think he could still move as fast because of the fear and misery that he felt. "I will not let you take her or Dari."

"You don't scare me, Sami. You're not a haradu. I am," Avarna said, laughing as she stretched out her right hand. Small sparks started to issue from her hand until a blue flame appeared on her palm.

Realising that he was in a broom closet with barrels of lamp oil, Sami tackled Avarna.

"No!!!"

Sami hit Avarna, making them tumble along the corridor. He shook his head and tried to stand, but he suddenly felt himself being picked up by large hands. The huge lakadu lifted him off Avarna and threw him along the corridor. He landed hard on the floor just about an arm away from the unconscious Alyana. He tasted blood on his lips but he tried to get up despite the throbbing pain on his left side. He turned around to see that the fire that Avarna had in her hand was gone, but his heart dropped when he turned towards the broom closet. The blue flame was on the floor, slowly creeping towards the closet.

"Oh no! Watch out!" Sami shouted, pointing towards the broom closet.

"Watch out for what? You can't fool m—"

BOOM!

Sami felt the impact of the blast, making him slide along the corridor. He was momentarily blinded by the explosion but he had to find Alyana. He still couldn't see clearly so he used his hands, fumbling on the floor to find any sign of her. Soon, his hands caught Alyana's shoulders and began to shake her to wake her up.

"Alyana! Alyana!" Sami cried out as he shook her, hoping for a response.

"Jienri! Wake up!"

Sami felt hands on his shoulder, shaking him slightly. It was a lakadu's voice.

"Are you hurt?"

Why was this lakadu calling him by brother's name? Sami was confused for a moment until he remembered that everyone thought he was his brother Jienri. He could sense a shadow over him. He reluctantly opened his eyes and the face of Periji Aron slowly came to focus.

The Journal of Dreams (The Tales of Tahana - Book One)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें