Chapter 38: Whispers in the Night

37-2-2-4012 DM, Perangar Eranga, Telama, Hilaraya

Sami turned in his bed for what seemed like the hundredth time that evening. He had just heard the bells of the Garalahi heralding the coming of the fifteenth hour of darkness and sleep still eluded him. He opened his eyes and looked around the room. There weren't any lights inside but it wasn't totally dark because of the light coming from the torches on the grounds outside. Shadows from the branches of the trees by the windows danced around the room whenever a breath of wind blew. Across the room, in the other bed to his left, Lakban snored loudly as he slept. He was glad that it was Lakban who shared the room with him. He didn't know Sanji at all and he would have felt very uncomfortable with him in the room. Thankfully, Sanji slept in the room between Dari's and Alyana's rooms, which were located at the other end of the corridor. He stirred once again, turning his back towards Lakban and stared at the bare wall beside his bed, trying to push away the thoughts that had been clouding his mind.

Feeling weary and a bit sore from lack of sleep, Sami sighed as he failed to silence his thoughts. The interrogation he had with the Saraji and the Menaji that morning was very stressful. The Menaji had a serene demeanour the entire time while the Saraji was very upset about his presence at the Perangar, which was understandable. What struck him as odd, however, was that he saw more than distraught in the Saraji's eyes. He felt a deep sense of loathing whenever the Saraji's gaze fell on him. He probably deserved that because of everything he had done but it made him feel more uneasy throughout the interrogation. He expected that they would ask for more details about the Gorasha and he told them all he knew. He didn't hold back. He was given orders from Avarna to do so anyway. He received that order from one of the hakadanani, the stealthy secret messengers of the Gorasha who travelled in disguise, along with the order to kill his own brother. He just didn't understand why they ordered to execute his ayi for revealing some information about the Gorasha, but they commanded him to tell them everything he knew. Perhaps, Avarna thought that what he knew didn't matter anymore. Perhaps, they had already moved the abducted harani to another safe house and he wouldn't know where it was. He was practically useless to the Gorasha, and soon, he knew that they would have him executed as well.

After the interrogation, Sami was emotionally exhausted and paranoid. He only did what he was ordered to do. He had not overstepped at all. How could he? He had been very loyal all these cycles. He had. He had even... Yes, he had been very loyal. He told himself that over and over after the interrogation, but it wasn't enough to ease his mind. Every strange little sound around him made him jump. Every dark corner seemed to be a likely hiding place for a hakadanadu who could silently and instantly kill him. He only did what he was ordered to do... He was just following orders...

Sami closed his eyes and tried to ignore the annoying chirping sound of the night crickets outside. He was very tired and was desperate for some sleep. There were only three hours of darkness left and he wanted to fall asleep before sunrise. He started to breathe slowly, pushing away all thought from his mind. He felt his body relax and his mind started to float towards sleep. Then, he heard it. The door of their room slowly creaked open.

Sami immediately bolted out of bed and moved towards Lakban to wake him up, but before he could reach Lakban, something frighteningly strange happened. He couldn't move a muscle. He felt the pressure of something that prevented him from moving any of his limbs, but he couldn't see any visible restraints around him. He tried to cry out for help, but there was something invisible gagging his mouth so his voice came out as a weak muffled sound. He tried to struggle but it was no use. He was completely immobile and stuck in a very awkward position.

Sami also noticed that it suddenly became absolutely silent around him. He could no longer hear Lakban's snoring nor the sound of the crickets outside. He could only hear his own muffled breathing and the hard pounding of his pulse in his ears. Panic rose inside him like a rogue tide and he felt like he was going to be sick. To his surprise, however, he found that he could still move his eyes, so he looked towards the slowly opening door. A shadow, darker than the normal evening shadows in the shape of a serpent, slithered through the crack at the bottom of the door into the room and slowly moved towards him. He knew this asuwadu very well. It was Jinara, the adaradu that worked with Avarna.