Chapter 29: Back to the Suraya

33-2-2-4012 DM, Gelang, Telama, Hilaraya

The bells of the Garalahi tolled to announce the coming of the twenty-second hour of light, its melancholy sound echoing through the air. The sun was just above the treetops to the west, hiding behind thin wisps of clouds that glowed crimson and bright orange, matching the colour of the firegrass on the ground. A cool gentle breeze blew from the south, which still carried the scent of ashes from the previous day's infernal mayhem with a hint of petrichor from rain that fell a couple of hours ago.

A crowd had gathered around a stretch of land that was covered in firegrass about three fields away from the Northern Watch Towers of Gelang. The crowd formed a circle about a hundred arms wide around the five unmoving figures of the Gelangi who did not survive the previous day's catastrophe. The bodies of the dead were shrouded in white linen over a pile of logs an arm high piles. They were arranged in a circle with their heads at the centre, one arm apart, and their feet pointed outwards to form a five-pointed star.

Alyana stared blankly at the shrouded figures before her. She didn't even know the names of the other four who had died, but she felt a sense of emptiness inside her. She caught a few strands of her hair with her right hand and pinned them behind her ears. She was trying hard to ignore the subdued sobbing of the people around her while she waited for the ceremony to commence. She stood between Dari and Sheilin, both of whom had grim expressions on their faces. They were just at the western edge of the crowd facing the funeral pyres. Jesi, who refused to speak to anyone but Dari since breaking their fast, stood in front of her to her left with his arms crossed, keeping his eyes fixed on the lifeless form of Master Jarani about forty arms away. The Periji stood beside Jesi to his right while his left arm was around Mistress Dayana, who leaned against him while she cried soundlessly. The families and friends of the other four who didn't survive the fire stood beside them in a similar state. With the number of people gathered in the field, it appeared as if the entire population of Gelang came to say farewell, except, of course, for Jienri and his two guards, who stayed inside the Watcher's Den by the Periji's order.

After few minutes, Alyana saw movement amongst the crowd at the eastern edge of the circle. The crowd parted to reveal the Pembaji and the Shembava of Gelang, both of whom wore plain flowing scarlet robes. Both of them held a long blazing torch in their right hand. The Pembaji was followed by a line of five lakanini, while the Shembava was followed by five babinini. Each of the children that followed the Pembaji and the Shembava wore white robes and carried a long garland of summerstar flowers on their outstretched arms. The Pembaji and the lakanini walked northward while the Shembava and the babinini walked southward. The Pembaji stopped at the northern point of the funeral pyres while the Shembava positioned herself directly facing the Pembaji at the opposite end. The lakanini formed a line standing side-by-side behind the Pembaji with their arms still outstretched, and the babinini did the same behind the Shembava. As the Pembaji and the Shembava raised the torch in their hands, the children placed their garlands around their neck allowed their hands to fall to their sides. Then, the clear voices of the Pembaji and Shembava filled the air as they spoke in perfect unison.

"Oh Banaramai, father of all, we implore you. We seek the aid of the elements on this day, the thirty-third day of the second moon of summer, four thousand and twelve cycles after Desaraya's return to the Suraya. Oh Shalaramai, mother of all, five of your children are on their way back to your most holy womb. They need your guidance."

After this, each lakanidu behind the Pembaji moved towards one of the funeral pyres and placed the garland of summerstar blossoms at the feet of each the dead. After placing the flowers on all five pyres, they walked back behind the Pembaji and sat on their heels and bowed their heads. The babinini behind the Shembava did the same. The Pembaji and the Shembava lowered their torches and rested the unlit ends on the ground like a staff and closed their eyes in silent prayer. A moment later, the children looked up towards the golden sky and started to hum. The wordless song had a slow tempo but the melody was calm and uplifting.