Chapter 35: Regrets and Lamentations

36-2-2-4012 DM, Perangar Eranga, Telama, Hilaraya

Lakban felt a moment's panic when he opened his eyes. He woke up in an unfamiliar room and for a second, a hundred horrible thoughts came to him like a fierce whirlwind. Frantically, he rubbed his eyes with both hands to clear his vision. As he saw the room more clearly, he started to remember everything. He was at the Perangar Eranga. He drew a deep breath and let it out slowly, making his anxiety ebb away with his exhalation. It wasn't good to be on edge just after waking up, and unfortunately for him, he hadn't had a relaxing morning since Avarna visited him a few days ago.

After letting out a wide yawn, Lakban looked around the room. He saw three other beds there but he was alone. While still in bed, he stretched his limbs and felt pain on his back and neck. He was too tired to move. The journey from Gelang the previous day was exhausting. He also felt pain in his throat. He must have snored his head off while he was sleeping. He usually snored loudly when he was tired. Oh, his poor roommates must have had a difficult time, unless he wasn't the only one who snored the night before. He smiled, shaking his head. He looked through the open windows and saw the branches of a whitewood tree as they moved with the light breeze. He thought that those were the branches of the great ancient tree on the grounds. He regarded the slender leaves as they danced with the wind. By the intensity of the light outside, he estimated that it was just past midday. Past midday! He had overslept! He groaned.

With as much haste as he could muster, Lakban shot out of bed and changed into his short-sleeved cobalt tunic and knee-length trousers. Making sure that he was properly dressed, he examined himself from his reflection on the looking glass at the left side of the door. He looked very tired for someone who had just woken up. He tried to smile but the lakadu who smiled back looked insincere. Well, that's how he looked at the moment and he couldn't do anything about that. Maybe some food would help, or maybe a nice hot cup of kopi. He sighed. It's too late for kopi already, but he would settle for anything to drink to sooth the pain in his throat. He shrugged at his reflection on the looking glass.

Lakban went down the stairs, through a corridor, and out into the main hall of the Great House. The hall was bright with sunlight, which entered through the high glass windows. He had to shield his eyes with his right hand as a ray of sunlight fell on his face. He moved away from the light and walked towards the door that led to the dining hall. The delicious smell of food wafted from the dining hall and made his stomach rumble. He hadn't had anything to eat since the previous night and he was very hungry. He marched towards the door of the dining hall and pushed it open. To his surprise, he found the room rather empty, except for a lakadu who was seated at the end of the long table. The lakadu wore long hooded brown robes and was looking out through the windows with a blank expression on his face.

"Jienri," Lakban said, acknowledging the lakadu before him.

"Please, Lakban. Don't call me by that name," the lakadu said monotonously as he continued to gaze far beyond the windows.

"But that's your name. We already talked about —"

"I don't care what we talked about!" the lakadu shouted, banging his left hand on the table, making some of the dishes and utensils quiver. He turned to look at Lakban with cold eyes.

Lakban knew that this lakadu wasn't Jienri. It was Sami.

"I dreamt of him last night, you know," Sami continued in an oddly calm voice as he turned his gaze back to the windows. "He had his favourite blue marapi around his head and he was wearing a matching blue robe. He..."

Sami's voice broke and closed his eyes. A teardrop fell from his right eye and rolled down his pale cheeks.

"He was smiling at me, Lakban. He was very handsome," Sami opened his eyes again and Lakban saw that they were wet with tears. "He said nothing. He just stood there, in front of me... Smiling. He was a better lakadu than I am... Did you know that?"