Chapter 24: An Unexpected Welcome

32-2-2-4012 DM, Takyanan Forest, Telama, Hilaraya

Dari woke up to the sizzling sound and the enticing aroma of frying sausages. With his eyes still closed, he yawned widely and stretched his limbs. His lungs were immediately filled with the crisp and cool morning air of the Takyanan Forest with a hint of garlic and oil from the frying sausages that Mistress Jira gave them. He had a restful sleep, the first time since they left Yatlang. Despite the fact that he spent the night leaning on a protruding redwood root with only his pack as a makeshift pillow and his cloak as a blanket, he slept very soundly. They had been travelling along the pedani road for the last two days, and he reckoned that he was starting to get accustomed to sleeping outdoors. It was still quite early, by his estimate, so he decided to stay where he was, lying on his right side with his face away from the camp fire, until he was called to break his fast.

As Dari lay with his eyes closed, he noticed something distinctly different. The forest was remarkably quieter. He could only hear a few animals making their early morning noises, much like when he and Alyana arrived in Yatlang a few days ago. Maybe the forest creatures had finally adjusted to the loss of their guardian, or maybe another fawaradu had replaced the one that died. Whatever the reason was, he was glad that the animals had somehow found some peace. He said a silent prayer to Amai who had kept them safe so far. Just as he finished the last line of his prayer, he felt something poking his left rib.

"Dari?" It was Alyana's voice. "Are you awake?"

"Mm..." Dari moaned, feigning sleepiness while keeping his eyes shut.

"Do you know that that question can't be answered by 'no'?" Dari asked, trying to humour Alyana, but he suddenly felt something cold touch his left cheek, surprising him.

"Oy! Did you really have to pinch me, Alyana? You know your fingers are ice-cold, don't you?" Dari said as he finally opened his eyes. He saw Alyana's grinning face while he gently rubbed his cheek with his left hand.

"Well, you're being clever, so I thought you'd like something cold on your cheek this morning," Alyana said, smiling with her left eyebrow raised. Her blue eyes sparkled like waterstones as the reflection of the orange camp fire danced within them.

"I was just stating a fact," Dari said, suddenly feeling heat on his face. "Why do you enjoy pestering me?"

"I uh... No, I don't. What makes you say that? The Periji told me to wake you up," Alyana said defensively. She gazed uncertainly to her right while her cheeks slowly turned red. "Yeah, the Periji did. We need to get going soon, I suspect."

"Alright, alright. I'm getting up now," Dari said as he stretched his legs and arms and let out a mighty yawn.

"Breakfast is almost ready. We're having—"

"Sausages. I know. Everyone from fields away knows we're having sausages," Dari said smiling as he sat up and unconsciously rubbed his belly.

At this, Alyana's expression changed. Her smiling face contorted into a frown, her eyes suddenly cold as ice. She looked straight ahead towards the camp fire behind Dari, stood up, and walked away stomping.

"Ay Alyana..." Dari said, shaking his head as he got to his feet. There were just some things he couldn't understand about Alyana. One moment, she was as warm as a beautiful spring day, the next, she was colder than the bitterest winter. Not that he had experienced true winter yet because it didn't snow in Arang during winter.

Dari carefully folded his cloak, placed it on top of his pack, and followed Alyana towards the camp fire where the Periji, Jesi, and Sheilin were seated on dried logs.