"You can stay as long as you need. We don't even need to share a room this time. Why didn't you tell me what was going on?"

"I can't speak the words. I can't unsee what I saw. I know I couldn't hide forever, but I wanted to. I didn't tell anyone in Maine. Well, Megan just knows things aren't good, but I didn't tell her why. Did he tell you he flew up? Sterling actually was in Maine. I took him to a place I didn't know anyone and Alex drove by. Luckily he never mentioned it. Really what would I say? How would I explain why I was sitting on a seawall freezing in March at a beach that is not my own? What a mess! My life is a mess. Can I have some water?"

When Avery spoke, she said, "Who is Alex?"

"Oh right, Alex Goodwin is the builder. I learned to respect his ability, but I hated him when I first arrived and I think it was mutual."

"Why would he hate you, because you're a New York designer?"

"No, because I was behind the counter and he refused to believe I could help him. Oh, that was one reason I hated him. That and the fact he ruined a beautiful stretch of beach to build the house."

"Okay, so you like this guy now."

"Like him?" Jen looked confused; she didn't like him even though she had a physical response to his touch twice.

"No, what's wrong with you. I mean you get along with him. Can you work with him?"

"Yes."

"Why is he the type that a girl would like?"

"If she's breathing." Jen pulled out her phone. "This is the house, the inside." She kept scrolling. "Now this is another house, he's working on. Obviously smaller and here he stepped in as I was taking the picture."

"Oh wow! I'm moving to Maine. That man is a gorgeous specimen. I'd love a taste of him."

Jen laughed knowing she was crazy. "He's got a girl. She's pretty too."

"Does she know how lucky she is?"

"I don't know." Alex seemed to think she didn't.

"I think that's the guy who should get you over your sham of a marriage!"

"Avery, stop! Will you!"

Jen spent some time settling into Avery's spare room. She surprised herself by thinking of Alex. She wondered why he didn't mention seeing her. Perhaps he was giving her the privacy she sought. She also thought about his hand on her arm and briefly on the small of her back. What did it mean that she responded? Was it because her emotions were so raw or had too much wine on Friday night? Remembering Avery's reaction, she wondered what it would feel like to be held by a man like him. Peter's hugs were always strong and comforting. Sterling would annoy her because he would put his head on her shoulder. She wanted a shoulder to lean on.

Avery ordered Chinese delivery and while they ate, her phone rang. It was her mother. She should have called to say she made it, but she had forgotten how to be a daughter.

Alice said, "Megan was asking."

Jen told her she would text Megan. When she received a text, she assumed it would be Megan responding, but it was Sterling. He asked if he could come by, but she told him no. She asked where she should work the next day? He gave her a few names that were waiting for appointments. She had a couple clients she had worked on while away and was ready to present to them.

The city sounds she barely noticed sixteen days ago, bothered her while she tried to sleep. She had grown accustomed to the quiet. When her alarm went off, she wanted to roll over and keep sleeping, but she pulled herself out of bed and went to find coffee. Avery had left. She had a machine, but no coffee. She showered and dressed without coffee and headed around the corner. She bought a cup and a pound of ground Columbian. She didn't expect Avery to have a grinder or she would have bought whole beans. They grind their beans at The Landing. It was one reason the coffee was so good. People drove over just for the coffee which was remarkable when people were going crazy for fancy lattés, but they only served coffee. Alex preferred her father's coffee to any other.

She waited until nine to make her phone calls. She had to explain more than once that she had been working on an out-of-town project.

One client said, "I saw poor Sterling at lunch the other week. He seemed lost without you."

"Oh, that was for sympathy. He got along just fine." With his lover.

She filled her day with appointments which were pure luck that people were available on short notice. The last one requested an evening appointment that she made for the following day.

By the end of the day, she was tired, but she had two green lights to go ahead with her designs and one proposal to prepare. She also made an appointment to have lunch with Sydney Thompson. With their new discovery of each other's humble upbringings, they planned to meet at a casual, comfortable restaurant.

When Sydney looked at the menu she said, "I get so tired of the rich food. I do a lot of cooking at home."

"You'll have a gorgeous kitchen to cook in at the beach."

"Alex reported that things are progressing. I just hope we'll enjoy it the whole summer."

"Oh, I think you will. Things will reach a point where they move quickly. On my drive back, I started thinking of built-ins along that inside wall of the great room - shelves, cabinets. I assume he has someone to do the work. Do you agree?"

"Absolutely. We like to play games and read on rainy days. My kids are normal for growing up in Manhattan," she said proudly.

They had a pleasant lunch, and she went back to Avery's to work. She refused to go to the office. It felt like when they were starting out and she worked out of the apartment. The only difference was Sterling checked in with her daily and she never saw him.

She called Alex hoping he was having a late lunch. He answered quickly with a hello.

"Hi, It's Jen."

"I guess you got home fine."

"I think you'd already know if I didn't." She laughed. The Point knew everything.

"You're right about that. We're coming along if that is why you're calling."

"No, I was wondering if you have someone to do some built-ins?"

"Yeah, me. What were you thinking?"

"I'll send you a sketch. Then we can talk about the details."

"Okay. How's the big city?"

"It's louder than I remember. Two weeks in the quiet and I lost my tolerance for noise."

"My brother says the same thing. He's a lawyer for Reed, something and something."

"Reed, Parker, and Haynes. I did Haynes' penthouse apartment."

"I know. My brother was at the party. You talked to him."

"I did?" she wasn't sure she'd remember.

"About some ugly sculpture."

Laughing she said, "Oh yes, I remember. We had a few laughs. Why are you telling me this now?"

"Because I just thought of it. I mentioned I was working with you, back on the day you arrived. He told me you were nice. I didn't believe him."

"Do you now?"

"Yes. Now I know you don't bite. You just give me more work with built-ins. Listen, I've gotta get back to work. My crew's staring at me."

She had met his brother and vaguely remembered he was good looking. She could tell he was from New England by his accent. She wanted to ask him, but she was the New York designer, Jennifer, that night.

She sketched out the shelves and cabinets which took her awhile. She wanted it to look good. She scanned it and emailed him just before she ran out to her evening appointment.

The potential client was a single male surgeon. She asked him a lot of questions that included how he spent his free time and how he entertained. She liked him and was happy to be working with him. He was good looking and gay, at least she was fairly sure.

Why in the world did she notice that about him and not Sterling?