9 - Jen and Avery

Start from the beginning

"I can't talk."

"You can't or won't?"

"Both."

"I saw Sterling this weekend. He looks like crap."

"I can't talk to you. Talk to Sterling."

Alex said, "We're here."

Avery said, "Who's that? Who are you with?"

"Just the builder, I'm working with. Listen, I have to go. You really need to talk to Sterling. Bye."

"Problems?"

"What?" Avery's call distracted her. "You know the way it is." She waved her hand, putting him off. He would know nothing of her problems. The wrong window or faucet or whatnot was nothing compared to her personal problems.

She loved that he used good vendors. She found exactly the kitchen style she wanted. Meanwhile, he was ordering for another project. She hesitated, but she felt she needed to comment. She suggested a tweak in his plans. He tried not to, but admitted she was right.

 He tried not to, but admitted she was right

Avery

What was going on with Jen? When she took off on a Friday night, it was unplanned because she and Jen were going out. They had called her out of town to talk a nervous board into signing a deal that would make a lot of people very rich. She would get her cut but she did it for the thrill more than the wealth. She had always loved a thrill - roller coasters, driving fast, skiing. Her mother was lucky to have survived Avery's teenage years. She didn't have time to play anymore, so work and occasionally sex was her exhilaration.

Jen wasn't a risk taker so there had to be a reason she agreed to that client and ran off. Sterling's persistent messages were also a sign that something wasn't right. Jen had been gone a week and Avery still didn't know what was happening. She called Sterling and asked him to have lunch with her on Sunday. His appearance surprised her. He looked like he hadn't been sleeping.

She asked, "What's going on with you two?"

"She went to Maine when I forbade her too."

"Jeez Ster, she's not a child. She went to work."

"Why didn't you two go out that night?"

"Because I had a work emergency."

"She'd still be here if you had gone out." He wasn't making any sense.

"She wanted to do that job. It was unfair of you to forbid her. I understand why she ran away. You've kept her from her family for years. That's not love. That's control." Avery's voice trembled angrily.

"You don't understand." He looked defeated.

"Well, help me."

"She took off!"

"Because you refused to let her. Just relax. When is she coming back?"

"She won't say."

"I'll try talking to her." Sterling relaxed, but didn't smile.

Avery became friends with Sterling at Columbia. They studied together back when he was fun. They were only friends, and he never tried to change it. After graduation, they shared a run-down apartment, because it was all they could afford.

When Sterling introduced her to Jen, they hit it off. In no time, the girls were best friends and sharing a room. Avery never understood how Jen and Sterling became a couple. She didn't like the way he remade Jen and refused to let her go home. To Avery, it wasn't love.

The past summer, Avery asked, "Are you happy?"

"You know I am. I love what I do and I love Sterling."

"Did I ever tell you that you surprised me when you told me you were falling for Sterling?"

"What? No! Why?"

"I just never thought he was your type. I knew you loved him, but I thought it was as a friend like I did. I guess I thought you were too strong and independent to fall for a guy like Sterling."

"I am strong and..."

"You're not independent. He dictates what you can and can't do. Why don't you go home?"

"Because I'm so busy."

"Really? I love you both, but you've changed."

"No, I haven't!" she argued, but they left it at that.

Did Jen finally have enough? She had asked Avery to go out. "We never have any fun." Maybe Jen planned to confide in her that night.

Jen shocked Avery when she finally answered her phone, but she learned nothing. Sterling wanted her to talk to Jen and Jen said to talk to Sterling. Avery felt squeezed in the middle.