08

"Let's date."

Joy stared at him, she wanted to weep that moment but she held her tears. The words she's been dreaming to hear from him just been granted but she can't even rejoice. She felt foolish. How is that so easy? She can just say 'yes' but she remembered all the things she did in the past just to make him like her but didn't worked yet here he is infront of her blurting words she wanted to hear in the past, the past when things were so easy for her, but its hard for her now.

And she feel that he just feel sorry towards her. "If you asked me that 10 years ago, I would say 'yes'." She will certainly accept him for a million times. But she decided to give up on him now because she's certain of her feelings unlike him, she might just be a passing thing for him and she can't bear to get hurt anymore. The pain is too great and the burden is too heavy. The pain she felt everytime he reject her leaves a scar on her heart and the pain becomes unbearable.

It's too late now.

She thought that he'd give up when she saw the hurt that came across to his eyes but his jaws became firm and his stare became hard.

"Why? Do you really have a boyfriend now?"

Joy was taken aback by the question but she immediately recovered and was about to reply when he talked before her.

"Don't even think about lying because I'd know."

And here she thought she can make her way out.

"Unless you tell me that you don't love me anymore, I won't give up."

"I don't love you anymore." She said looking away.

"Look into my eyes and say that again." he said urging her to look at him.

Joy turned back her gaze at him. "Why do you care if I love you or not anymore? That's none of your business."

Sungjae clenched his jaw. "I care because I'm making it my business." He really badly wanted to hear her answer.

Before they could continue their argument, a nurse cleared her throat beside them. Joy and Sungjae turned to her, they just realized that people are looking at them. Joy could only look down on the floor from embarassment.

The nurse smiled understanding the situation. "Doctor, someone is looking for her."

Joy looked up at the nurse. "Who?" Why didn't that person just go there?

"He said he's your boyfriend."

Joy's eyes widen and was about to go where the person is when Sungjae grabbed her arm. Boyfriend? it better not be or else he's going to kill the guy. He cursed internally. Damn lucky bastard.

"We're not yet done. We'll talk later."

Joy took her arm from him. "Yes we're done and there's nothing to talk about later or in the future." She said glaring at him before leaving.

She went to the waiting area where she saw Ilhoon sitting with his cap on his side, he's wearing his uniform.

"Oppa" Joy called. Ilhoon looked up and stood up from his seat smiling at her.

"Hey, how's your leg? Sorry, I've only got the time now to visit you."

Joy shake her head smiling before taking a step to hug him, Ilhoon wrapped his arms around her immediately.

"How did you know that I need you?" Joy asked. He just came on time.

"I was thinking that some guy is hitting on you again."

Joy laughed through his shirt. "Thank you Lieutenant."

Ilhoon break the hug and looked at her with a loving stare.

"I'm not a soldier right now, I'm your brother don't you remember?"

Joy thought her eyes was just hot but soon her tears started to fall. Among the people who was there for her when things were hard, Ilhoon was one of them, he helped her through hard times. She did not only gained a friend but she also found a brother in him. She can complain and talk things to him comfortably even to the point of crying.

Ilhoon laughed before carressing her hair. "Aigoo... You're really a baby, how can I leave my dongsaeng if you continue on crying? You really never change."

He pulled her for a hug again. "It's okay to cry. You worked hard."

Joy sobbed on his shoulder. "Thank you oppa."

She just break the hug when she calmed down. "Do you want to see mom?"

"Oh, auntie was transferred here? I didn't bring anything though."

Joy chuckled linking her arms to his. "Don't worry about it. She adores you so much I was even thinking if you're my long lost brother or something."

"Then I'd have two beautiful sisters." Ilhoon concluded.

Joy rolled her eyes smiling, she sniffed. "You have good eyes oppa." She shamelessly agreed with him which made him laugh.

They talked while walking towards her mother's room.

"Is it hard oppa? You still can't talk about your girlfriend with me?" She's really curious about his girlfriend since she haven't seen the woman yet. He just told her that his girlfriend is also a soldier.

Ilhoon just stared ahead and sighed. "I don't know anymore. I want to see her but can't. It's been three months but she's not yet back from her mission, I'm getting worried."

"Aren't there any communication?"

Ilhoon shake his head. "She was sent as a spy, I think it's hard for her to contact the HQ. That's what I'd like to think, although she's very capable of herself, I hope she'd get home safely." Ilhoon closed his eyes as if he's thinking of something. "I can't even do anything even when I'm a lieutenant, we can't send help unless she contacts us and if I carelessly send orders, her cover might be blown up and her being sent there will be meaningless."

Joy gently smiled. "Well... that girlfriend of yours is very lucky. She have a boyfriend who thinks of her and worries about her. It's the best thing that you can do oppa. And since she was sent there, I think she's very skilled and capable of herself."

"You bet." Ilhoon laughed getting proud of his girlfriend.

Joy chuckled and stared ahead. She was jealous of Ilhoon's girlfriend and Seulgi. Because they have someone to worry about them when they are away, although a family member counts, having the person you love care and worry about you is different.

She thought she has changed but everytime she thinks about Sungjae, she always go back at the time when she was still eighteen years old. The over zealous, sophisticated and spoiled brat Joy.