24

I gasp and choke on how much air I have in my chest. I heave and look at the ground. My eyes feel like sand. My throat feeling like concrete.
"Trisha!"
I blink trying to see properly "trish?"
I feel cold! Freezing. After blinking I can see everything. Everyone... what happened... I look over at Shar on the floor... "what did you do..."
The rooms silent "we couldn't let you die" I look up to Toby...
"What have you done..." he looks to the floor... "who... who did you sacrifice?" Their all here? They all look to the floor "who's dead?!"
I look at all of them and none of them can look me in the eye. Accept Harjo. He'll tell me! "Harjo?"
He smiles "I was never going to let you die my queen"
... what? "Who?"
He sighs and leans his head back "me"
Him? "What do you mean you?"
He smiles and gets up but his legs go limp on him. He sighs and looks over at me "Toby wanted to... he's not pure blood. His mix breed blood didnt work" I feel my eyes water again and my lip shakes "dipshit... he wanted to sweetheart... he wanted to be your hero... but..." he smiles and closes his eyes "but uh... I couldnt let him do that"
I crawl over to him and takes his hand "but I need you" my throat breaks and I hear myself sobbing.
He smiles "but I needed you more my queen. I couldnt live thinking you were dead. I never could" he strokes my hair back and rests his forehead on mine. His tear falling on my cheek. "I told you! I told you not to do it! You promised me you wouldn't leave me!"
He smiles "My queen... I've given you my life... we've never been closer... I'll never leave you now... so you promise me you live!"
I can't anwser him. I can't even take in a breath. I just sob uncontrollably "you were never going to love me the way I love you. I know that... but I dont regret it Trish... not even this"
"You can fight this"
He chuckles "you give me to much credit! I dont feel anything baby. Im just tired"
"Lets give them some time" Justin stands up and his eyes are bloodshot and blotchy.
"Dipshit"
He looks back at us "yeah?"
"You make her happy!"
Justin looks at me "I promise. Just uh... we'll be outside"
Harjo looks at me and kisses my forehead "you're finally going to be happy My queen"
I gulp "I was happy before"
"You know what I mean. I see the way you look at him Trish... then when you danced together. I knew youd be together. He wanted to give his life... that would have be selfish of me"
I lean over his chest and his breathings just getting softer "I uh... I want a momorial statue in the middle of the garden so you can never forget ny face. Better yet. So dipshit will always know Im watching you"
I laughs "we'll make it a holiday"
"Harjo day... no, sounds like a curse"
"You was my risk"
"Your rope... I remember" I nod and cling to his shirt. Sniffing to stop my nose running on him "but you don't need a safety rope anymore Trish. You don't need me as much as you'd think... I love you My queen"
"I love you too. So much"
"Can I ask something?" I look up at him "I want you to kiss me and say it again... then I want you to fall to sleep with me" a tear runs down his face and I stroke the tear from his cheek. He's going pail and he looks exhausted. I nod and lean up, putting my lips on his and he's so weak. He can hardly kiss me back "I love you so much"
He smiles "I love you too" I lie down and start sobbing again. I wont hear his voice again. I wont see him look at me again. All I can do is keep my promise and fall to sleep. and I hear his breaths shake and I know he's crying to. But I keep my promise to him
I hold him and try sleep...

Its quiet. I open my eyes and look around...looking at the shirt thats squeezed in my hand... "Harjo?"
But the pillow I'm rested on is still. Its cold. And I bite my bottom lip "Harjo?" I just stare at my hand...
I look up at him and he's grey. His eyes are closed like he's asleep. And I stroke down his face "you've done nothing but pro-protect me... I'm so sorry Harjo" I kiss him and sob down to him. Lying back beside him but his arm falls from around my waist heavily to the floor. But I dont move him. I just hold onto his shirt "Harjo put your arm around me"
"Trisha?"
"He uh... h-he only ever... he only ever wanted to keep me s-safe"
"I know"
"Come on my girl"
"I told you all! I told you all not to do it! Im not worth his life!"
"He thinks you was" Toby strokes over my hair "he wouldnt have done it unless he wanted to Trish"
I know! But that doesn't make it better! It hurts! Someone sits beside me and strokes down my back. I know who it is. He used to do it when we were kids. I look back and he has tears falling down his cheek. He tries smile but it's completely broken "How you doing Trish"
"It hurts"
"Yeah I know. Come here"
"I dont want to leave him on his own"
"He's not on his own sweetheart. Come on"
He pulls me towards him and I let him pull me into his chest "how do you stop it hurting" I've never felt anything like this!
"You let people help you" he kisses my head "thats all you can do"
How can anyone help me? What can anyone do to make this not hurt!
"Come on. Lets get you out of here" he picks me up easily but I shake my head.
"I can walk" I climb down and look down at Harjo "can you... can you just get him off the floor... he isn't a dog" I gulp and walk out the room. Having to hold the wall... how the hell does anyone live with this!
Oh god! I run over to the window leaning out and throw up.
'My queen... I've given you my life... we've never been closer... I'll never leave you now... so you promise me you live!'
"Your highness?"
... "leave me alone"
"You had to live"
I turn to her and shes giving me sympathetic eyes "leave"
"He-"
"Leave!" I charge up to her but my waist is grabbed.
"Trisha, it wont help"
"I told you! I told you not to do it! You killed him!"
She closes her eyes and bows her head "you had to live"
"Is that your excuse?! Does it make you feel better?! He's dead!"
"Trisha!" He takes my face and forces me to look at him "listen to me. When you di-" he chokes "when you died! It killed him... he couldnt let you go" he shakes his head.
"No-"
"Im sorry... im so sorry your hurting so much! But he wouldn't want you doing this"
"Yes he would!"
"No, he wouldn't" he strokes my hair back "and you know it"
Somewhere in me I think I do. I look back at the witch "so why is it I have to live? Why was my life more important?" She shakes her head "you've broken the laws of fate already! You brought me back and took his! Dont tell me you cant tell me!"
She sighs and looks between me and Justin "because of your children"
"Her children?"
"No... Your, children" our children?
I look up at Justin and he just stares at his with a tight jaw.
Our children...
"We have children?"
She nods "3... and they'll make or break the world... but I dont know which... thats something much past any witch to know!"
Make or break the world... "how?"
She shakes her head "I don't know... I just see the pathway... their options to decide... but I don't know what they are"