•Chapter Five•

At lunch I sit at the same table with the same random kids that don't even acknowledge me. The mysterious boy from my chemistry class is sitting at his lonely table while eating his lunch. I'm pretty sure he's been eating like this for the entire school year. I really want to go over to him and eat lunch with him so he won't feel alone. But I'm not sure how to approach him, I don't want to be weird about it.

I decide to stay where I am. I eat a bag of chips while I observe him from a far. He doesn't even dare to touch his chicken sandwich on his tray. Instead he puts some earbuds in his ears and begins typing on his phone. As people walk by him they make sure not to get to close to him or the table. The mysterious boy doesn't even pay any attention to them.

I take a soda can out of my bag and began trying to open it with my stubby little fingers. Somehow I always have problems opening these stupid tabs on these soda cans. All of a sudden a random hand reaches over me and takes the soda can from me. Before I could start cussing at the random person, I stop myself when I realize it's just Jonas.

"Wassup county girl!" He cheerfully greets me.

"Nothing just eating."

"Someone gots the munchies I see. Don't worry I do too, that is why I'm in here. Usually I don't come to lunch because I hate how it is so crowded. The bright side of it at least is I get to sell my weed here."

"You sell weed too?"

"Duh! I have so much at my house. My parents don't even know because I live in the basement and they never go down there."

I shake my head at him and laugh a bit at his antics.

"Where is Miranda?" I ask.

"Ladies room." Jonas said throwing my soda in the air then catching it.

"Hey, do you know anything about him?" I suddenly asked, pointing over at the mysterious boy from my chemistry class.

Jonas follows my pointing finger. His eyes grow big when he sees who I'm pointing at. He quickly swats my hand down so I would stop. Jonas then gets closer to me like he's about to whisper something in my ear but he doesn't. He clears his throat and says discreetly "That is Dustin - although Miranda and I like to call him Mr Maniac for fun because we think he should of been named that at birth."

"Why? What has he ever done to deserve that cruel name?"

"A rumor has been going around saying that he killed his next door neighbors dog."

"Dog? It's just a dog—

"And the owner..." Jonas quickly finished his sentence.

"Oh, Well, did he really do it?"

"Nobody exactly knows. Although one day me and Miranda were like super high and we were walking around random neighbors at like two in the morning. We hadn't realized we stumbled upon his street until we saw his house and then his neighbors house next door. The neighbors house had blood on the inside of the windows."

I suddenly get quiet as I imagine everything in my head. I glance over at the mysterious boy and watched him tapping his foot to the music playing in his ears. I then turn my attention back to Jonas.

"He doesn't seem like the type of person to do such a thing." I frown at Jonas.

"That's exactly what his parents said to the police when they showed up at his house. But don't be frightened Anna, that all happened about three years ago."

I stare back at the mysterious boy again and thought to myself  "If that all happened three years ago then why is everyone still acting like their terrified of him?"

-
-

After school I laid in my bed and did my homework. I was going to go hangout with Miranda and Jonas but I decided not to. My father is downstairs watching football as usual, I'm surprised he isn't drunk yet. I can't stop thinking about what Jonas told me in the cafeteria today. I really do want to know if that mysterious boy really did kill his next door neighbors or not. I know the case is probably over because it happened three years ago but I just want to know if he really did it. And if he did, what made him do such a thing.

When ten o'clock rolled around my father comes upstairs to tell me that he ordered pizza for dinner. I rush out of my bed and go down to the kitchen. Of course he orders my favorite kind of pizza with Sausage and Mushroom. I take slice from the box and ate it by the stove instead of sitting down at the table with my dad. He's silent of course because I know he's still pissed about our mini argument we had this morning.

I'm always the one that has to say sorry in the end but I'm not this time. He needs to be a man and apologize to me for once.

"How was work today, dad?"

"Fine." He mumbled dryly.

You see; this is what I'm talking about. He's just asking for an apology but I'm not giving it to him. If he wants to play this game then I'll play along too.

"Did you fix any cars today?" I ask. Knowing the topic of cars is one of favorite topics to talk about, considering he is a mechanic.

"It was a slow day."

"Oh."

I walk out the kitchen and back up to my room. When I enter I change into a oversized shirt and bed shorts. I put my hair into a messy bun then dive into my comfy bed. The moon shined bright tonight through the dark purple curtains I put up over my windows earlier today. I try my best to fall asleep but I can only think about is Dustin now. I'm so curious about him. How could someone so gorgeous get so much hate? I don't even know him but I know he's not a bad person, I hope not.

As I start to drift off sleep I begin to dream - I see and only him. His dirty blonde hair that sticks out a bit from his hoodie blows in the wind. I see a thunderstorm forming behind him. It's like he's staring at me but something seems a little off about him. As my eyes move down his all black outfit I notice his hands are all bloody. I want to scream but I can't. I want to wake up but I can't. But then suddenly after about a few minutes of fighting with myself, I am released from the dream and my eyes fly open.

I sit up in my bed breathing heavy. I grab my phone that's under my pillow and checked the time.

It read: Twelve Thirty AM.

I lay my head back down on the soft pillows and took a deep breath.

"It was just a dream, Anna." I told myself. But the dream was so short but seemed like it could go on forever. I close my eyes again and tried falling back to sleep. Just when I do I suddenly hear a faint scream coming from outside. It sounded so real, I didn't want to check to look out my window. I am too exhausted at this point. Besides it's probably just a wolf or coyote.

It's just an animal...right?

-
-
-
-