•Chapter Nine•

-Two days later-

This morning by my locker Jonas was showing me and Miranda the latest news on the girl that got murdered last week. They told me that police men are out full force around Seattle. Jonas and Miranda are pissed because that means that they can't smoke anywhere except for Jonas's house/also known as the basement.

I'm not really upset because I don't really smoke that much like they do but I really don't mind hanging out in a basement with my friends. I think it might be fun actually.

In third period the mysterious boy wasn't surprised to see me sitting at his table. Like a normal person he sat down quietly without making a sound. I politely wave to him but he doesn't smile or wave back to me. I'm not offended at all by that because I knew he wasn't going to respond back.

As I'm focusing on my class work I notice in the corner of my eye Dustin is leaning towards the table a bit. He's still far away from me but it seems like he wants to be closer to me or maybe I'm just crazy.

"Excuse me." He taps the table for my attention.

"Yes?" I look up at him happily.

"What is your name?"

Whoa! He wants to know my name. Do I act cool or do I scream with joy? Just stay calm Annalise.... STAY CALM! Don't blow this for yourself this could be your only shot. Just take a deep breath and tell nice boy your name.... he won't bite, right?

"My name is Annalise but some people call me Anna for short."

His expression is blank as usual but somewhere in his eyes he seemed so interested in me. I look down at my lap and slightly blushed. I suddenly flinch when he puts both of his arms on the table. His eyes are green like summer grass swaying in the breeze. His lips are slightly clenched together as he stared at me.

"So what is your name?" I flip the question back to him even though I already know his name.

"You don't know?" He almost sound surprised.

"No."

"You must be living under a rock then."

"Most of the time I feel like I am."

For the first time in twenty minutes that we've been in this class he finally takes his eyes off me. I feel empty inside now that his eyes are not on me. For the rest of the period we don't even dare to speak to one another—it was very awkward.

When the bell rings for lunch everyone scatters out chemistry. The only people that were left in the classroom were me and the mysterious boy that won't tell me his name. I throw my book bag onto my shoulders before I walk away, but just as I'm about to I hear him mumble something to me underneath his breath. Turning to him I ask him to repeat what he said.

"I said my name is Dustin." His voice was gentle and pleasant. He then walks out the classroom leaving me hopeless and wanting more.

-
-

At the lunch table Miranda and Jonas were eating a big bag of chips together.
I'm assuming Jonas brought them from home.
I'm quiet at the table. They both try to make conversation with me but I talk dryly to them.

In the corner of my eye I can see Dustin staring at me from his lonely table in the cafeteria. For some reason I feel like I'm being taunted by him by just his eyes. It's like I'm the mouse and he's the big scary lion. I'm not afraid of him though.

"Ew! Here comes Wren." Miranda suddenly warned.

When she says that I turn my head and saw her coming to our table. I take a big sigh and prepared myself to be annoyed. Wren sits down in between me and Miranda. Jonas scoots away even though she isn't directly sitting beside him.

"Have you guys checked out the news lately?"

"Obviously we have Wren, who hasn't?" Jonas rolled his eyes at the idiot.

"But have you checked it NOW?"

"No." Miranda murmured.

Wren suddenly takes her phone out of her pocket and shows us her phone screen. I began to read the first few sentences of the news article to myself.

•News Article•

This is a urgent message for residents that live in Seattle, Washington. Starting tonight there will be a curfew set at 11:00 at night. If you are caught walking around after eleven you will be taken in by the police for questions. This curfew will be temporary until further notice. Thank you for your cooperation and have a nice day.

I look away from Wren's phone while shaking my head. Jonas slams his fist down on the table angrily after he reads the article. Miranda tries calming him down but that doesn't help at all.

"This is bullshit!" He yelled, pushing Miranda away from him. Wren puts her phone back into her pocket then stands up from the lunch table.

"I just wanted you all to read that because I know you guys smoke and drink together. I can't even have my parties anymore because of this stupid curfew." Wren explained.

"You know I wish someone would just confess already for killing that innocent girl. This is getting ridiculous now." I shake my head again.

"I bet it's that asshole with the black hoodie over there!" Jonas points over at Dustin. I roll my eyes at him. He sounds so dumb for accusing Dustin.

"Yeah, you might be right Jonas maybe it is him." Wren looked over at Dustin now as well.

I feel so bad. Why is everyone thinking it's him? It's not him! I don't believe it's him. Dustin is sweet and kept to himself. I can't imagine him being so brutal like everyone thinks he is.

"I don't think the killer is someone from our school." I confess in a voice that is gentle.

Miranda, Jonas, and Wren suddenly turn their heads to me staring at me like I'm insane. I knew they would look at me like that...I knew they would because they don't think it's anybody else besides Dustin. It is sad pathetic and sad.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Jonas narrowed his eyes at me.

"What I'm trying to say is that the killer could  be anyone in Seattle."

"Wait, are you trying to defend that crazy maniac over there?" Miranda forehead creased.

"No I'm just saying that maybe for once everyone shouldn't point fingers to him whenever something bad happens here. I assume a lot of bad things happen here at this school, that is the reason why everyone is so afraid of him because all you guys do is just blame him for everything. Everyone in this school have programmed in their heads to not trust him. But why though? He's done nothing wrong!"

"You have seriously lost your shit today, Kentucky." Jonas murmured, eyeing me like a hawk

Of course they don't believe me. Nobody here will ever, I assume.
Wren waves goodbye to us then walks away from our table. For the first time she isn't annoying. This entire killing situation is changing everyone quickly. I can see it happening. Someone seriously needs to confess that they killed Shannon so that this will be all over.
I knew that moving to Washington was going to be nothing but trouble.

-
-
-
-