•Chapter Thirty Four•

-Saturday-

The next morning I'm awoken from the smell of coffee brewing. My dad must of dumped the entire bag of coffee grains in the coffee maker again. The last time he did that the house smelled like a coffee shop for a week. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell of coffee but the smell can get a little irritating after a while.

I throw my fluffy covers off of me and slipped my favorite slippers on my feet. When I walk into the kitchen I'm instantly stunned when I see three male FBI agents standing in our kitchen talking to my father and sipping on coffee.

"Dad what is going on?"

"Good morning, sweetie. These nice officers will like to ask you a few questions about that party you attended to last night without my consent."

I roll my eyes at the emphasizes he put on his words. Each of the FBI agents holds their badges out and introduced themselves to me one by one. They then tell my father to exit the kitchen so that they can all speak with me privately. I take a seat at the dining room table and fold my arms.

"Is it okay if I call you by Anna?" One of the agents ask while stepping forward.

"Yes please."

"Alright good, we're going to take things slow before we get to the the serious stuff, okay?"

"Alright." I nod.

Agent Holstein sits down across from me at the dining room table while the other two officers continue to stand up with pens and notepads in their hands. Agent Holstein clears his throat before asking his first question.

"What time did you arrive at Veronica Coleman's birthday party?"

"I'm not sure with the exact time but I do believe I arrived around about six thirty, just as the sun was getting ready to set."

"How long did you know Veronica?"

"Not very long. Me and my father just moved here two months ago."

"Yes, he told me about that. At the party yesterday did you see anyone acting weird around Veronica or did you see somebody watching her?"

"No sir."

"Okay. After sunset where exactly were you, Anna?"

"I was outside in the garden taking a break from the party."

"Were you alone?"

I hesitate before answering. All three agents stare at me like hawks. I clear my throat thoroughly. "I wasn't alone." I admitted.

"Who was in that garden with you, Anna?"

"Dustin Parker."

"Well we spoke to Mr Parker before coming here. He said he wasn't in the garden with you. When we asked about you he said he didn't know who you were."

My heart drops hard in my chest.

Why would Dustin say that?