brad simpson (au)

he has a stammer

i yawned and rolled over so i was facing brad, gently snuggled in his arms, him smiling at me, "good... morning, babe."

"g'morn." i mumbled, "happy 6 months." i leant forward to press a kiss to his lips.

"happy a-anniversary." he said.

"you're so cute." i cooed.

"i love you."

"i love you too." i kissed him, his hands gently pushing my t-shirt up and trailing up my sides, and he pulled me so i was straddling him as he sat up.

just under seven months ago, brad and i had met in a bar, and i'd immediately fallen for the cute, curly-haired boy, despite his worries about his stammer, and ever since, i've helped him calm down when he's nervous, and stammer less when he's around me.

as he's a singer, he often finds it difficult to bring himself to get up on stage, despite how much he loves it, for fear he'll stammer, but i always encourage him, and remind him that his voice is amazing, and the times when he's on stage, high on the buzz, are often the times when he stammers the least.

"oh, i booked a table t-tonight, at the italian." he said, "for seven."

i nodded with a smile, "thank you." and he returned my grin.

brad parked the car and got out, walking round to my side as i got out too, and he grabbed my hand gently, leading me in to the restaurant.

i gave his hand a little squeeze of encouragement when we entered, and a waitress asked us if we'd booked.

"yeah, t-two... in the n-na-name of... simpson." he said, and sighed, embarrassed with himself, and i noticed the waitress smirk a little, so i rolled my eyes and scowled at her, causing her to lightly blush and look down, before leading us to our table.

"would you like any drinks?" she asked.

"could i have a glass of rosé, please." i said and she nodded, turning to brad.

"just water, th-thanks." brad said, as he was driving.

when she nodded and walked away, i said softly, "baby, calm down. there's no need to be nervous, you're with me." i offered him a smile and noticed him relax slightly, and, fortunately, a different server brought us our food, who was a boy, similarly aged to brad and i.

"happy anniversary, babe." i smiled, just before our puddings came.

"you too. i l-l-love you." brad said.

"i love you too." i said, before smiling to the waiter who brought our desserts.

"would you like anything else?" he offered, returning my smile.

"no, thank you. i'm okay." i said and brad nodded in agreement, a little frown on his face, but i decided to ignore it.

"brad, thank you so much. that was amazing." i gushed, after he'd payed for our meals, despite me insisting he needn't.

"here you go." the waiter gave us our teas, along with a small chocolate each, and i thanked him with a smile.

"you're welcome, gorgeous. enjoy." he said and i blushed lightly.

"i'm gonna leave y-you two. enjoy." brad scoffed as he stood up, looking between the waiter and i.

as he left, the waiter smirked at me, but i just rolled my eyes and stood up, following brad out  to the car park.

"what the hell?" i said, and brad turned around to scoff at me, but i could see the hurt in his eyes, "what was that all about?"

"oh, i think you know." he said, the venom in his voice keeping him from stammering.

"do i? because i don't think i do." i sighed.

"flirting w-w-with the waiter? you c-couldn't have made it... more obvious."

"brad." my face softened, "babe i wasn't, and i wouldn't."

"it's fine, i u-under..stand. he talks n-n-normally, and would-wouldn't embarrass you in-in... public." he said, frustrated with himself, causing him to stammer more.

"no, brad." i stepped closer to him and hugged him, "i don't want anyone but you. i don't care that you stammer, you're fucking gorgeous and the nicest, funniest person i've ever met. please don't get self-conscious, because i love you and wouldn't change a thing about you." i gushed, and he gently hugged me back, and i sighed at how tough and frustrating it must be for him.
"i'm always here for you, you know that." i added, "i promise you can always relax when you're around me." i matted my fingers into his hair.

"i-i'm sorry." he whispered.

"don't be. i love you."

"i-i love you... too." he said and i pulled away from the hug to press a kiss to his lips, before the two of us got back in the car and he drove us home.