-----CHAPTER EIGHTEEN-----

He shakes her hand, "Hello Lyra" Then he looks at us all, each time he greeted us, he gave us an appreciated nod. "Hello Denise, Emeline, Rosana, Alexina, and Samaria" he smiled.  "I want you six girls to sit right by my side," he said as he gestured towards the table. I sat right next to Samaria and Alexina.

"Girls. I want you to meet Farder Coram, which is right next to Lyra of course," said Lord Faa. Farder Coram waved to us and we gave him an appreciated nod in return. "And these are the chiefs of the Gyptian families. You, six girls, are our guest here and you are all under our protection" 

Everyone in the room was dead silent. But Lyra wasn't letting the silence, silence anyone. "Lord Faa? I want to thank you, for keep watch on us and all, but why did you do it?" Lyra asked.

"Lord Asriel has been . . . A good friend to the Gyptians . . .This many a year, and this many a year it has been our charge . . . to bring him news of you girls as we travel along our ways. Bet you didn't know that, did you? And when Mrs. Coulter got a hold of you lot, well . . . We suspected that she had something to do with the gobblers" said Lord Faa.

"And she did! She and them gobblers took my little boy, Billy" said Ma Costa with the great emotional pain that is flooding right through her heart. The look on Lord Faa's face nearly got me heartbroken. He must have felt utterly sorry for Ma Costa's son. 

"I dare say that Samaria, Rosana, Emeline, Alexina and I, have survived the North, survive through an ice bears attack, survive Svalbard and we survive Bolvangar where the intercision is born! As a matter of fact, we only have less than a week for Billy's chance to be in that intercision machine. A close friend of mine had lost her life in those machines, she gave me a warning that sent the group and I running for our lives!" I said as I stood up from my chair. This speech, however, lightened Ma Costa's emotions a bit, she now knows that her boy, Billy, can still be saved, but we have so little time remaining.

"Girls . . . We all know your tale all the way up until you ran away and the Costa's found you all . . . But is there anything else you can tell us . . . Is there anything you may have forgotten?" As Lord Faa finished his sentence, the girls and I directed our attention towards Lyra.

Was she going to show the compass to everyone? Is it worth the risk of mentioning it what-so-ever?

Lyra's hand dived into her pocket, Pan whispered out loud, "Lyra! Don't show it to them!" But it was too late, Lyra had placed the compass in front of her, " The Master of Jordan gave me this" her hands slowly draws away from the compass. Protective Pan decided to walk next to the compass, thinking someone might swipe it away and never return it back.

"I thought it was all taken by the Magisterium" Farder Coram spoke out. I noticed everyone lifting their heads, directing their attention to Farder Coram as if he spoke his first few words. He then slowly grabs it and shows no sign of aggression, Pan looked much alerted. He kept his eyes on the man and the compass. "It's an alethiometer . . . A truth measure . . . A Golden Compass . . . It enables you to see what others wish to hide . . . You got three hands you can control" Farder Coram demonstrates on how to use the compass. "By pointing at three symbols and you can ask any sort of question you can imagine . . . Once you got your question framed, this blue needle points to more symbols that give you the answer" Farder Coram fiddled around with the nubs that control the needle.

"Can it be used to find the missing children?" Lord Faa asked.

"Not by me" Farder Coram replied.

"Well, we five girls know Bolvangar inside out. So we could probably help you with entering, but breaking out is hard enough. You got night guards and night soldiers to deal with . . . But we'll find a way" Said Emeline looking at everyone in the eye as if it was the best golden strategy already invented.

"Why would you want to go inside Bolvangar?!" Lord Faa questioned.

"To rescue all children, it isn't fair to pluck only two so the rest could suffer!" Emeline snapped at Lord Faa because the answer was straight out obvious.

"Oh . . . Right . . . Make sense" Lord Faa scratched the back of his head, still unsure about this.

"The art was jealously guarded-"

"Can I try?" Lyra cut Farder Coram sentence off.

Lord Faa gave a light chuckle, Lyra snapped around and gave him a dead straight face, showing how pissed she'd be if no one gave her a chance. Lord Faa stopped and tried maintaining his serious face and voice tone. "Alright" He gestured towards the compass as he attempts to hide his face.

"What are you doing Lyra, you don't know how to read it!" I heard Pan whispered.

"Hush Pan!" said Lyra.

Everyone shuffled towards Lyra, to get a good view of what she was doing.

"Well . . . The serpent is cunning, like the gobblers . . . And the pot could mean a recipe or plan . . . And . . . The baby, that means kids . . ." As Lyra said 'The Baby' Ma Costa raised her head and directed all of her attention onto Lyra. 

"One thing I do know, Lyra, you mustn't grasp for the answer, hold the question in your mind politely. . . Like as if something was alive." said Farder Coram. Lyra closed her eyes then looked down at the compass.