-----CHAPTER FIVE-----

"Well, it's nice to meet you but my time is very limited, so I must be on my way" She pulls me into one last tight hug and left. It hurts me a lot. I haven't seen her for a long time. Just as she left, one of the hospital nurses quickly walked up to us, "Denise! You can't run away like that! You need to take your medication-"

"Lyra! Roger! Run!!" I pushed them forward as the nurse behind me yells out my name in rage. We all ran across to the other side of the college, got inside a building and slammed the door shut. "You guys keep going! I'll try to hold her off! If that doesn't work, I might as well go back" said Roger. "Good luck Roger!" Lyra yelled. We both ran up the stairs while Pan tries to persuade us to go back, " Lyra, Denise! This isn't a good idea! we have to turn back!"

We ignored him, by the time we reached the top of the stairs, we were in the main dining area. Lyra went to the right side and hopped on a neatly lined chairs as I walked beside her, she walked on it as Pan the ferret dodges the plates, knives, spoons, forks and napkins. "I wish you both would at least listen to me for a while!" he said.

"Stop being such a coward!" Lyra snapped, we started off in a jog.

"If I weren't such a coward, where would you be?"

"In the retiring room already!" I knew what she meant, we were heading there now. If Pan would stop complaining and try to back out, we would of been in the room MINUTES AGO! She hopped off the very last chair. Pan and Secundus turned into birds and check if the coast was clear together, as Lyra and I hide behind a wall. It took them awhile. Someone knocked loudly on the door. The nurse! We snapped our heads towards the door.

"Clear!" Secundus whispered

"Come quick!" Pan snapped

We both didn't hesitate, we turned a corner, ran to a million set of brown doors and entered the retiring room. The room's wallpaper was gold, maps were carved in to the walls with colour, books on shelves, all pressed back to make room at the front. Enough room for small machinery to be placed in front of the books. "I'll keep a look out!" I said. I stood near the little cracked open door, watching if anyone comes by.

"Denise, Just wondering . . . When are you gonna let the nurses actually take care of you?" Secundus asked as he climbed up my shoulders.

"Until she gets a brain, because I don't want stitches on my face! I rather let it heal on it's own"

"Lyra! Let's get a robe and get out of here!" I overheard Pan's whispering

"Don't be silly! I want to look around!"

"You know that if you get smack, I hurt too!" She ignored Pan again. "Lyra! You're gonna get us all caught!"

I look back, and my hearing was picking up something. I saw movement. "Lyra! Someone's here!" I whispered. Her eyes widen, "Denise! Run! Wardrobe" She started running to a wooden wardrobe, so did I. We both opened it's door, got ourselves and our daemons in and closed it behind them. We all kept quiet and still, watching out of a weird window. The voices came louder and louder until the retiring room's door flung open.

"Lord Asriel is an eminent fellow of the colleagues and as Master of Jordan . . .You must force him to abandon his plan!" said a Man looking fancy in fully black outfit with specks of gold patterns. "They're talking about my uncle, Lord Asriel" Lyra whispered. " I speak for the Magisteria"

"The Magisteria has no authorities within these walls!"

"My dear fellow . . . The Magistiruim has authority everywhere and Asriel will be silenced. . . One way or another!"

"That may be. . . But while he's at Jordan, his proposal will be heard" the Master said as he turned to the closet, heading towards my door, I slowly and quickly moved to the other side where Lyra was standing. We both held onto each other tightly. "I'm not dispensed with centuries of intolerance, free inquiry. . .And that's my final word on the matter!" He continued. He turned to the closet, opened the door that I was standing behind a few seconds ago. He grabs a coat without noticing us. That was good news to us. I guess? The master closed the closet door and said, " Now, if you'll excuse me. . . I shall call the council to order!" The master watched the guy from the Magisteria bow to him, he turns and leaves him in the room.

"Denise, I think we should listen to Pan for once" Secundus whispered

"Don't tell me your chicken too?" I snapped

"I guess we lost that bet" Pan whispered

"The three of you! quiet!" Lyra snapped

We all watched through the funky windows. The guy from the Magisteria pulled out a chair and sat down, he grabbed the yellow drink, popped the lid off, grabbed a white piece of paper out from his sleeves, he starts to unfold it, then hovered it at the lip of the glass, pouring white powder into the drink. What is he doing was the REAL question. He crumpled the paper and shoved it back into his sleeves, he places the lid back on, popped the drink back where it was standing before he touch it, stood up, tucked the chair in and left as if nothing happened.

"Lyra! Denise! He's leaving! Let's go! . . .Lyra! Denise! " Pan whispered, I was about to push the doors open and step out, but voices on the other side of the door came and convinced me to not even move. "Oh no!" Said Pan. The door was slammed open by a snow leopard daemon. "Stelmaria"