Chapter Eight: Nightmare

Start from the beginning

"Sammy relax." Dean instructed, "I'm sure it's just a nightmare."

"Yeah, tell me about it."

"I mean it. Y'know, a normal, everyday, naked-in-class, nightmare." Dean dismissed, trying to keep the real worry he was feeling from showing on his face, "This license plate, it won't check out. You'll see."

Angel shifted uncomfortably in the back seat, not so sure that it was just a run of the mill average nightmare. Sam's visions always seemed to come true and there really wasn't a manual on them.

"It felt different, Dean. Real. Like when I dreamt about our old house, and Jessica."

"Maybe they're expanding?" Angel offered, "Maybe... they're getting stronger or something."

"No." Dean quickly dismissed that too, "Look, it made sense that you dreamt about our house and your girlfriend. This guy in your dream, you ever seen him before?"

"No."

"No. Exactly. Why would you have premonitions about some random dude in Michigan?"

"I don't know."

"Me neither. So chances are the plates aren't going to check out."

Sam spoke into the phone, "Yes I'm here." He listened, glared at Dean, then picked up his pen, "Jim Miller. Saginaw, Michigan. You have a street address? Got it. Thanks." Hanging up the phone he looked to his big brother pointedly, "Checks out." His eyes went to Angels, "How far are we?"

"From Saginaw?" She asked looking over the map, "Mmm. Couple hours."

He turned back to Dean, "Drive faster."

Outside Jim Miller's house...

The Impala cruised to a stop at the address given. Emergency vehicles lined the block and they watched as someone on a stretcher being zipped into a body bag. They turned to each other in the car before hurrying out. Dean and Angel sported concerned looks as Sam was clearly upset. After a few minutes of recon Angel walked over to the boys.

Dean looked over to her, "What happened?"

"Neighbor says it's an apparent suicide which is odd because she seen hims every Sunday at St. Augustine's and he always seemed normal."

Sam asked, "How are they saying it happened?"

"She said they found him in the garage, locked inside his car with the engine running about an hour or two ago."

Sam watched the front of the house where a woman stood on the front steps, crying and leaning against a middle aged man. A young man stood behind them, also looking distraught. Sam grimaced then turned to walk away, his siblings following him to lean against the Impala's bonnet.

Dean eyed him, "Sam, we got here as fast as we could."

"Not fast enough." Sam shook his head, "It doesn't make any sense. Why would I even have these premonitions if there wasn't a chance I could stop them from happening?"

"Maybe there's more to the story here." Angel mused, "Maybe we're missing something."

Sam shook his head, "So what do you think killed him?"

"I don't know Sam..."

"Maybe the guy just killed himself." Dean looked between them, "Maybe there's nothing supernatural going on at all."

"I'm telling you, I watched it happen." Sam pressed, "He was murdered by something, Dean. I watched it trap him in the garage."

Dean tensed, "What was it, a spirit, poltergeist, what?"