Shaking such thoughts away, she went to Elena's side and grasped her hand, shocked to feel it trembling slightly. She led her to the bed, and helped her lie back on the pillows. She went to the wash stand and poured some cool water from the pitcher that stood there. In a large porcelain bowl, she added a few drops of oil, which her friend Bonnie had made her into the water. It smelled wonderful, and tinged the water a soft blue colour. Dipping a cloth into the mixture she returned to Elena's side, squeezing it out she put it over her hot forehead. Elena sighed as the cool water touched her, and squeezed her friend's hand in gratitude.

"Well, how do I look?" Katherine asked, twirling around in from of them, showing off her new dress, which Caroline knew had cost the earth. It was creamy, with broad blue stripes, a nipped in waist and a full skirt. She looked lovely, but Caroline couldn't help but think that the style was a little out of date.

"Disreputable" Caroline replied wryly as Katherine dabbed a little too much tint on her lips, and smiled at her reflection.

"Exactly what I was going for" smiling wickedly, she swept out the room and downstairs to meet whatever poor chap Isobel had come up with for her to take tea with. Caroline watched the closed door a while, rewetting the compress now and again, and finally felt Elena drift off to sleep.

Getting up quietly she went to the dressing table and began to put away Katherine's powders and rouges, all the little pots and brushes that were usually left out, then carelessly lost. Sitting on the brocaded stool, she caught sight of herself in the mirror. She was the light to their darkness in looks, with her features reflecting a true opposite of the twins. Her hair pale as the moon, as well as her skin. Her eyes, a deep blue to their brown. She wondered if Isobel would really help her to find a husband once her daughters were married, or if it was a futile hope. She would never stop being grateful for the life they'd given her. The chance to come to England and the chance to have real sisters. But, in that tiny, dark part of her heart where she kept the memories of her family, she longed to know what it felt like to have a mother fussing over your studies, choosing dresses with you, trying to find a husband for you, and a father who decided if a young man was good enough for his daughter, she smiled at the thought of that.

Rising she cast a last glance at Elena, then quietly opened the door. Deciding to go to the library, and continue her study of French in preparation for her lesson tomorrow, well, Elena and Katherine's lesson, she started down the elegant stairs to the lower level.

They were living in an elegant townhouse, right in the fashionable heart of London. It was beautifully decorated and contained not only one, but two drawing rooms, to Isobel's delight. The parlour was to the back, and used exclusively for the family, and it separated Mr Pierce's study from the dining room, which connected to one of the drawing rooms. It was toward the study that Caroline now went, and waiting outside she knocked softly. Since there was no answer, she carefully opened the door and entered. It was quite empty and she went quickly to the section of wall lined with books.

Searching for the title she was looking for, she slid out the volume, just as she heard voices coming toward the door. They seemed to stop just outside. Suddenly trapped, Caroline could do nothing but wait, or rush to the door and announce her presence. Starting forward, she stopped again in shock as she realised what was being discussed.

"It is for the best John. She is old enough to marry, and with her disposition, she will never attract the attention of anyone on her own. With her marrying into that family, I pray it will throw Katherine into the path of other eligible men."

"But, why not Katherine? She is hardly so so shy and timid as Elena, surely she would make a better wife for him."
"Katherine will never do it. You know that. She is so foolhardy, so... stubborn. I'm not quite sure where she gets it from."