Chapter Eleven + please read a/n!!

a/n: hey guys!! i just had my first day of high school (freshmen ayy) earlier this week and i'm in honors english and it's already kind of a demanding class so i might not update as much as i want to until i get settled in and everything, so for the time being i just wanted to thank you guys for the feedback and love this book gets. statistically, this is my best book yet. though i have other books with more reads, they've been out for at least a year or two. this has been out for 9-10 months!! thank you guys so much. ilysm❤️.

i'd love to hear your guys' favorite chapter/part/dialogue/moment/etc and why in the comments if you're fine with putting a couple seconds aside to write it. i love reading all your comments!! anyways, lets get on with the chapter. enjoy! -car

****

Jake plastered a smile on his face. The skin near his eyes wrinkled slightly as his pearly whites were showing and were radiant to anyone in a mile radius from him. He was talking to Jenna, but really didn't want to be there. He wasn't going to make that obvious though. He was just planning on waiting it out until the bell for fifth period rang and lunch ended, but it didn't seem to come soon enough. The conversation was relatively smooth until Jenna had asked a particularly uncomfortable question for Jake.

"So what about your parents? They don't get pissed or anything because you throw so many party?"

The brunette felt this pang tingle through his whole body. His teeth clenched and expression got a bit more uncomfortable. Jake's fingers clutched onto the wheels of his wheelchair, his knuckles whitening naturally due to his firm grip.

"Where did that come from?" Jake asked, trying not to make his newfound uncomfortableness too noticeable (especially not around Jenna).

"Just asking," she shrugged, "for a friend."

For a friend Jake's ass.

"I'd rather not say?" Jake's statement came out more like a question, "It's kind of personal."

"Are you sure? You can always talk to me. I won't tell a soul."

That was a lie. Sure, she wouldn't tell a soul. She'd post it on social media for millions of people without souls to see. He doubted whatever he was about to tell her had a -1% chance of staying between them.

"Yeah." Jake nodded, lips pursing, "I'm sure. Thanks." He started to wheel off, eventually darting out into the hallways once he'd gotten out of her view.

"Yo, Dillinger!" Someone exclaimed, stopping Jake from completely blowing that popsicle stand and getting the hell out of dodge.

The brunette sighed heavily and turned his head (and wheelchair) towards the voice. He was met with the brown eyes of Dustin Kropp; cousin of Christine Canigula and second-cousin of Michael Mell. Though Dustin was pretty well known around the halls, he was one of the annoying sophomores who tried to be one of the upperclassmen and failed miserably with every real attempt. The only reason he was even remotely associated with the popular Juniors was because he gave Jenna loads of tea on Madeline, Christine and Michael constantly.

"Dustin!" Jake once again plastered a smile on his face, "What's up, bro?"

"Nothin' much. Just saw you wheelin' pretty fast. In a hurry?"

"Yeah. . . Physics homework is overdue."

"Really? The one and only Jake Dillinger leaving lunch for physics homework?"

"Well," Jake laughed softly, "it's not going to get itself done, is it?"

The other male hesitated and opened his mouth to speak then soon shut it, "Touche."