Chapter 18

Present Time

Jesse never spoke to me again after that moment. He never said a word. Don't get me wrong, the abuse continued, but he never spoke to me or around me. It was like he became mute. Not that it bothered me because it really didn't, but it was strange. Everything was strange in its own way up to this day. And I believe it will continue to be strange into the future. That's how life likes to work.

20 metres left.

Back To Past

As soon as I recovered from Jesse's violence, I cleaned myself up. It was a continuous cycle for me now, a daily routine. He would attack me, and I would wash myself off and make myself presentable for the next time he shows up. It's just how my life works right now.

That's something I've been thinking about more lately- my life. What's the meaning of it? What's its purpose? I was born with two loving parents and a gorgeous best friend. All of them died because of me. Then I get a new family, boyfriend and friends. I get a second chance at life in high school. Once again, I ruin it. My new 'family' don't give two shits about me, new 'friends' turn their backs on me, and my supposed boyfriend beats the crape out of me every day. He gets me pregnant and then takes the life away from me again. And then there's everyone else in between.

Hannah. We've known each other a week and she's become more of friend to me in that time than anyone has attempted to be in the past month. She took pity on the freak girl in the corner on her own and it paid off.  For who though? That's a fair question. Hannah could've been part of the cheerleading squad. She could've been popular and have everyone look up to her. As for me, she's just another person I will push away and murder. Because that's all I do, murder.

And River. I knew him a day before I managed to push him away and made him kill himself. He was an attractive guy. Young, smart, kind; everything a girl could've wished for. I could've had him as my own, my other half. But I pushed him away and chose the devil as a partner. Look where that's got me. He committed suicide because of me. He committed suicide...

That idea doesn't sound so bad to me. What have I got to live for? A family? Ha, hardly! Friends? Hannah can do better than me.  A boyfriend? He won't miss his punching bag one bit. A future?... I have no future.

I've decided. One week. That's all I will give myself to live. If something or someone can change my mind, which they won't, that's all the time they'll get. That's all the time they should need.