Chapter 12

Present Time

Emily's P.O.V

It's all my fault. I am the one to blame. I don't deserve respect. I don't deserve anything. He's gone and its my fault.

Back To Past (The Next Day)

I walked into school by Jesse's side, getting looks of jealousy. I don't like being the centre of attention, never have. But there was something else behind these dirty looks. Something that I didn't know.

"Why are they staring at us like that?"

Jesse just laughed. "They are jealous. They want you and me for themselves. We are the IT couple now"

I didn't believe him but I forced myself to as I walked to my first class.

I haven't seem River all day. I want to apologise to him about yesterday. I want to make sure we are still friends. But he is nowhere to be found.

After second period, and two periods that River was meant to be in with me, I starting to worry. I might have a boyfriend now but he is really making me panic now. I want to know where he is. I want to make sure he is okay.

I walk to my locker, still worrying about River. I put in my code and open the door to have a piece of paper fly out on top of my foot. I frowned. What is that doing in there? I bend over, pick it up and opened and read it.

Emily,

I'm sorry for what I am about to do. Its too late to do anything now. You had the chance to change me. To save me. But you chose him. Chose him over me. I never had a reason to live until you came into my life. But then you rejected me. Leaving nothing worth living for in this world. I would say that it wasn't your fault but... to be truly honest... it was your fault.

Good bye Emily

River :)

Tears are pouring over the rim of my eyes. The dam has broken, allowing the river to flow. River. What has he done? What have I done?

I run home, lock myself in my bedroom, and cry. Normally, I don't let anyone see me at my weakest point, but after my mum's death, my life has never been the same.

Later That Day

"Emily?" Someone knocked at the door.

I lifted my head off of the now-soaked pillow to see Jesse leaning on the doorframe. He pushed himself off and walked straight into my room, closing the door behind him.

"I can help you know. I can punish you for you."

I frowned but stupidly agreed. I need to be punished for what I did and I need help doing it.

As soon as I agreed, he raced towards me at a fast rate. Before I could even think about running away, his hand stuck the left side of my cheek, leaving a burning sensation and most probably a bruise. My eyes watered and a muffled sound left my mouth as I fell to the ground in pain.

"I've been waiting to do this for far too long."

"What are you-"

My words got cut off when let his fist punch my jaw. I screamed in pain and few tears left my eye.

"You don't speak unless you are spoken to. Do you understand?" I stayed quiet in fear of being abused again.

"I said, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" He yelled in my face, making me whimper and nod in understanding.

He grabbed a handful of hair and pulled me up to my feet. I could feel my hair being ripped out of my head forcefully, making my eyes water even more.

He threw me back to the ground. Before I could get up, his foot came in contact with my rib cage. I screamed in pain as I felt and heard many ribs break. He repeated his actions again and again. I don't dare to stop him. He has now proved that he is not a good guy. But I deserved it. I killed River. His death was my fault. His blood is on my hands.

After what seemed like hours, Jesse finally stopped hurting me. He pulled my head up to eye-level as he crouched down.

"Next time sweet cheeks" he whispered in my ear. "I won't be so easy on you"

He kissed me forcefully before dropping my chin and walking out of the room.

I attempt to sit up but remained unsuccessful. I was in a too-bad condition to move an inch. I cried silently on the floor, begging for someone to help me.

Jesse's P.O.V

River is dead. He committed suicide. Because of Emily. Good girl. Its about time he had left. Shame it's her fault though. She's such an innocent thing. For now.