Chapter 8

Emily's P.O.V

Everyone is staring at me. Congratulating me. It has been a couple of days since I tried out for the cheerleading squad and life has been really good. Miranda and Jesse have been really nice at home and I am starting to fit in at school with my friends, finally.
I make my way to the notice board. The cheerleader squad team list is up. Suddenly, the girls come out of nowhere and tackle me to the floor.
"Ahh" I screamed. "What the fuck?"
"OMG Emily!"
"I can't believe it!"
"I knew you would!"
"Wait... what have I done exactly?" They all stopped and looked at me.
"You haven't seen the team list yet?" Mckenzie finally spoke.
"I was going to but I was kind of attack by a bunch of hyper baboons."

"Baboons? In the school? OMG!" Pip starts to shriek as we stare at her in disbelief. I never knew some cheerleaders were this blonde.
The girls snap their heads up with a smile on their faces. Sometimes, these girls are too much alike it's creepy.
"Well, what are you waiting for? Go!"
"Erm... I would but I am kind of being sat on"
And it was true. Not one body part was cheerleader-free.
"Oops"
We all stood up and I went over to the board. I scanned the list:

Mckenzie Freeman (Captain)
Chloe Piper
Dawna Foster
Pip Davis
Sydney Harris
Leone Capper
Stacie Perkins
Melissa Jacobs
Jackie Weaver
Mace Dowers
Lizzie Opram

Emily Sullivan

I'm a cheerleader...... again.

Present Time

Emily's P.O.V

I can see her. Standing there. Still in her cheerleading uniform. On the roof. Her callous eyes are watching me fall. Watching me die. I deserve it. I deserve all of this, despite what everyone says. After what I did, I deserve very second of it. The abuse. The betrayal. The guilt. I used to ask myself: "Why was it me? Why did it happen to me?". And now I know why. Because I am to blame. She died because of me.

21st June 2007 (7 years before)

I was the base. The most important person. She was on my shoulders, preparing for our routine. State Cheerleading Competition. The most famous and successful competition in the USA.

"Ladies and gentleman. Performing their routine, Emily Sullivan and Imogen Day from reigning champions, OakHill Middle School, Ohio."

Cheers erupted from the crowd as the presenter calls through the mic .The pressure was on us. Not that it was a problem. We won every year, this year won't be any different. Imogen always told me to not get full of myself but I never listened. I'm proud of myself, the whole world should know.

The music started to play and we started to move. She flips and summersaulted into and out of my arms. Our final move came. Its time to show them who's boss. She flipped and flipped and flipped. Then she fell and fell and fell. Then she hit the floor. She had fallen through my arms. How is that even possible? I look to the ground but instantly regret it. There she was. Lying on the ground. Her eyes locked with mine. Her eyes opened to say something. It come out as a barely audible whisper. But I heard. I heard her alright. Her eyes closed and her chest stopped moving. I stood there. Just staring at her. My partner. Replaying her words in my mind.

"When I get you, you're dead!"