Epilogue

Jump. That's all I have to do. To leave this godforsaken world... to be free. I look down, my toes at the edge, to see everyone staring up at me. Because I was the crazy, attention seeking, 16 year old girl that is about to jump off of the school building roof, to plummet to her death. I see my new best friend crying into her boyfriends' shoulder. I'm sorry Hannah. I'm sorry I didn't share my secrets with you or gave myself time to get close to you. I wanted to, I really did, but I couldn't. Hannah and Brad have been together years, she has him to look after her, they're in love Why can't it be like that with me? Why did I have to fall in love with the evil one? The abusive one? I glanced at the bruises that cover my arms and legs before I look back at the audience below me. And there he is. Standing with his girlfriend-and my ex-best friend-McKenzie, just past the jocks and cheerleaders. Jesse Hart. Tears blur my vision as I run my fingertips along the white scars across my wrist. Too long I spent trying too hard to escape his reach. The memories of being alone with him at night, that night, come flooding back once again. Constantly in my head. In my dreams. Haunting me day and night. Everything I now know about him makes me feel sorry for McKenzie. For having to put up with him like I did. I'm sorry Jesse for not being the girlfriend or sex toy that you wanted but you and McKenzie suit each other. A bitch for a bastard.

I move closer to the edge. To my freedom. My toes curl. I take a deep breathe in and out. Twice. Three times. I block out my surroundings when I hear sirens in the distance, approaching quickly. Its now or never. I block out the feeling and emotions that remain. I lift my left foot. I lean forward. I hear people screaming as I lose touch of the building. As the wind rushes past me, I smile and say my goodbyes to the world. My last words...

"I'm free. I'm finally free."

My body goes limp as it collides with the floor and the screams stop. I greet eternal darkness with open arms.