Chapter 2

(Later that day....)

I sat in the hospital waiting room, on an uncomfortable chair that would squeak every time I moved, which was a lot, awaiting the bad news that I knew would come. Why did they have to bring us to the hospital? They were pronounced dead at the scene. Did they need all of the computers and machines to tell them that they couldn't find a fucking pulse?

I took a deep breath in to calm myself down. They wouldn't want me to be like this. They would've wanted me to be strong for them and continue with my studies. And that's what I'm going to do.

I fiddle with the locket on the necklace around my neck. It was a present for my birthday last year from Mummy and Daddy. I didn't have any pictures in to start with but after what happened earlier, I put a photo of them both in there. That way they can be with me, by my heart, forever.

"Miss Sullivan?"

My head shot up with my body as I ran to the doctor.

"What is it?"

"My name is Doctor Hamilton and about your parents...well...it isn't good news"

I grew weak, knowing what I was to be told next.

"Your parents died from the impact of the crash. Many bones were shattered, fractured and broken. There was even-"

"NO! They can't be dead! You're lying! You have to be lying!"

"Please Miss Sullivan. You need to calm down and listen-"

"CALM DOWN?!" I shouted, attracting an unwanted audience. "Both of my parents have just died and you are telling me to calm down!? Don't you think I should get time to freak out after what just happened!? I certainly think so. I don't have any parents. They're gone" I broke down in tears, sliding my back down against the door. No-one stopped me. They just left me sitting there. I was grateful for that. I didn't need to be told to do anything else right now.

It was silent in the room until that silence was broken by an annoying high-pitched female voice.

"Are you Emily Sullivan?"

I looked up to the woman standing beside me. I could tell that she didn't want to be here-the expression on her face is noticeable to any by-passer. Her dark brown hair was pulled back into a bun on the top of her head. Her bright blue eyes were so intriguing but her personality made you want to kill her there and then. Her voice...it makes me want to throw up and kill her even more! I mean, if she had a boyfriend, husband or kids, I'd actually give up crying now and feel sorrow for them for having to put up with it day and night. Her outfit was very business-like. She was wearing a dark blue knee-length pencil skirt and blazer to match over the top of her crisp white blouse. Her shoes were so unbelievably high, it makes me wonder how she can even stand in them, let alone walk.

"Y-Yes" I sobbed. "T-That's m-me"

"I am Miranda Peterson and I am here to take you home" Her lips set into a thin line that was meant to represent a smile.

"T-Take me home?"

"Yes" Doctor Hamilton stepped in. "Emily Sullivan. Meet your new mother"

I just stared at him. Mother? I don't need mother. I am old enough to look after myself. Mum wouldn't want me to be with someone else.

"M-Mother?"

"Yes" Doctor Hamilton said again. "Mrs Peterson has very kindly adopted you immediately after hearing what you have just been through."

That hit home hard. By then, I couldn't hold my anger and pain in.

"I've been adopted!? Why the fuck have I been adopted? My parents have only just fucking died and you're selling me off already!"

"Miss Sullivan-"

"Don't you 'Miss Sullivan', me! You're telling me that I have to go and live with another family without having any time to mourn?"

"That's exactly what we are saying and you also don't have a choice in this so I wouldn't do anything-"

I ran. I ran past them both and sprinted down the hall. Before I got out of ear-range I faintly heard the ending of her sentence.

"-stupid"

Then it's the word that I forgot might come.

"SECURITY!"

I panicked but carried on running. Next thing I know, I am being tackled and went flying. I looked up to where I thought a security guard would be. In their place....