Chapter 19

Emily's POV

 One day. That's all I have left. No-one has tried to stop me, but then again, no-one knows about what I'm going to do- and I won't tell anyone either.

I enter the school and immediately have Hannah jump to my side, waving goodbye to her boyfriend Brad. They've been together for years and are still going strong. Why couldn't me and Jesse be like that...

I shake the thoughts out of my head as we continue down the corridor. After 2 minutes of silence, Hannah pulls me over and frowns at me.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"You haven't said anything all morning. You haven't been this quiet for ages, I thought we were getting somewhere."

I frown. "So I was just a project for you to do in your spare time?"

"Her eyebrows raise in shock. "No, of course not. Why do you think that?"

Shaking my head, I start to back away. "Don't worry, nothing's wrong. I'll see you later."

I walk away, leaving her frozen in shock. Now I have no-one to feel guilty about leaving behind.

Present Time

10 metres...

Back To Past

Hannah's POV

 I don't know what just happened. Emily has cut me off. I've tried to help me and get to know her but she's not letting me get close. I've heard stories about her and her past, to be honest I absolutely understand why she was lonely before me and Brad came to the school but now I'm here for her. I want to be the loyal best friend she never had. I want to have sleepovers and share our deepest secrets together but she isn't letting me anywhere near her-and its worrying me.

I know what its like to feel alone and I went through many years of depression but then I found my person. Brad made me feel special again. I want to be Emily's person, the person she can trust with her life. I only wish she'd let me in.

"I told you Hannah, she's a freak that's out of control." McKenzie and her groupies laughed behind me. "Why don't you come back with us and leave her to her... ways."

I spun on my heels, hot with anger. "What have you got against Emily? What has she done that could give you the fucking right to ruin her life every day?"

She recovered from her shock before replying. "She stole my boyfriend and my popularity. She had it coming to her."

"You know what McKenzie. The only freak here is you." She gasps as everyone stop and watches the scene unfold. "You feed off of everyone else's lives, and you think that makes you popular. You seemed like a nice girl, and you could still be one, but your personality makes you a bitch." By now, her face is as red as a tomato but I continue, feeling the need to protect my... friend.

"Oh, I'm the bitch?" Her eyebrows in disbelief.

"Yes" I replied calmly. "You are the one that needs everyone's eyes on you just to feel the scene."

"Isn't that a Mike Posner song?"

I ignored her comment and continued once again. "You feel the need to hide behind that mask, cover yourself with makeup and put on a fake smile as though that'll make you pretty. You think you fool everyone with your perfect girl appearance and make people think that you have a perfect life, but to be honest hunny, the only person you are fooling is yourself."

After my rant, she stands speechless. People around her look at each other and it's someone at the back of the crowd that starts clapping. Thirty seconds later, everyone in the corridor is clapping at my speech, including some of McKenzie's followers. She stands in the centre of the circle, flustered with embarrassment until she finally storms off, with the remainder of her girls trailing behind her.

I turn to the crowd. "And if anyone else pulls any of the shit McKenzie did to Emily Sullivan then you will be dealing with me and I will not let you off lightly. Do you all understand?" I see a few nods and understanding. "Now go!"

The crowd disperses and I feel a sense of achievement wave over me.

"You sure are a feisty girl Han." Brad kisses my cheek.

"I don't even know if the hassle was worth it." I sigh.

"It always is babe." He pulls me close and we walk off down the corridor, with the feeling of being watched as we go.

Emily's POV

I watch Hannah and Brad walk away and I wipe the tears from my cheeks. She stood up for me. She made McKenzie look like the whore she is. She made me feel special and loved... NO! I can't let that happen. She's making me feel guilty. I need to do this now before I change my mind. Without a second thought on the matter, I run towards the stairs that lead to the roof, preparing myself for what is to come.

As I peer over the edge, a freshman looks up to the sky and spots me before I can hide. I see his eyebrows raise as he chokes on his food. Running inside, I know that he is going to get a teacher. It's now or never...