It was around 8:00pm when I reached the building. It wasn’t quite as dark outside, seeing as it was summer time. There was hardly anyone in there, actually I couldn’t see anyone. I was surprised the doors were open; usually they’d have to be closed. How odd.

I quickly brushed the odd feeling off and made my way in. The files were near a printer, near the cafeteria... nowhere near Marc and his office, hence why he didn’t get them. That and because I ended up in a hospital.

Oh yeah, Jamal, I was supposed to get him an appointment with Marc. I made a mental note to bring him up when I met Marc as I reached the printer.

Thank God I found the files where I left them because I could’ve sworn I heard footsteps. And I’d be lying if I said that didn’t scare the crap out of me. I just wanted to get out, to be quite honest.

I started hurrying out of the printing and photocopying room and down the hall towards the doors, until I heard footsteps, again. I stopped in my tracks and whipped my head around only to find nothing, no-one there. Was I hearing things?

It must’ve been the damage on my forehead. I felt the bandage briefly before carrying on my way out.

Suddenly I felt a hand grasp my elbow which made my heart leap out of my chest.

“Izra?”

Emily?

“Emily, hi, what are you still doing here?”

“Oh, I, er didn’t want to take any paperwork home so I decided to finish it all here. I’ve got a date, actually, tomorrow night.”

“Oh, well have fun.”

“What are you doing here?”

I glanced down at the files in her hand and Emily seemed to have noticed them too as she nodded knowingly.

“Well, do you want me to drop you off?”

“Actually no, I could actually use a bit of fresh air.”

“Are you sure you’re going to be ok?”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine, thanks.”

“No problem. I’ll see you later,” and with that, Emily walked off towards the parking lot whilst I continued on my journey to Marc’s place.

It was about a 30 minute walk from the office to Marc’s house and if I took a bus, I’d be there in 15.

Ah, to hell with the bus. I could lose a few pounds anyway and I really need time to think about, well, everything.

I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I didn’t see the man in front of me until I had collided into him and lost my balance. Lucky for me, his reflexes seemed to be on point as he managed to grab me before she hit the floor.

When he had pulled me back up, I’d wanted to thank him. But somehow, I’d become speechless. I didn’t know this man, which I knew. But there was something about him, something that made him...

“Are you okay?” he spoke, his fingertips trailing down my arm causing me to inch away from him.

“Oh, sorry,” he said after realising my discomfort.

“Um, it’s fine,” and with that I walked past him, more alert of my surroundings than previously.

I could feel that he was looking at me, I just knew. But I willed myself not to look back.

I didn't look back until I had reached the Franklin house. When I did, I saw a car drive off but couldn’t see who was driving because of the bright headlights that nearly blinded me. It was almost as if whoever was driving had waited for me to reach the house and then left.